Diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi all

i am 32 weeks pregnant and showed my weird mole last Friday to a dermatologist. I have a suspected melanoma on the calf… I m getting full excision tomorrow, while we managed going private to get things speed up (the initial nhs consultant appointment is only on the 6 to compare…) I am on a roller coaster from « this will be fine » to « I can’t leave my new born and 4 yo alone because of a cancer… » this is a nightmare and my pregnancy hormones are definitely not helping with coping… trying to stay away from Google but this is a challenge to manage uncertainty. Hopefully we know fast and this is not too advanced…

• Bless you, what a lot to have on your plate. It is certainly an ugly waiting game but most people who have moles removed don’t have melonoma. It could be completely harmless or a BCC which are very common and generally don’t cause much trouble. I would try and focus on the fact that the mole will be gone soon and even if it is melonoma, if it is all delt with quickly that will probably be the end of it. The results could take a time to come through, so try and think positive.  It sounds like you will have much happier things to occupy you and will certainly have plenty to keep you nice and busy. Good luck with your pending new arrival, and everything crossed you will have nothing else to worry about other that sleepless nights and more dirty nappies.

• Thanks Clare ! Trying to keep sane until I know more… going for Excision this pm… would be a good first step.

• Great, and however it works out your in the system now so will be well looked after. I am keeping my fingers crossed that your little op this afternoon will be the end of it. Good luck.

• It took me a while to connect back to the website. For some reasons, I could not login anymore. My melanoma was confirmed shortly after but luckily it was a thin one that did not require further investigations. My baby came super healthy, and I am enjoying every minute of him after this skin cancer. I was lucky enough to be reminded how precious is life and health. I had still my placenta investigated as a precaution and was clear. I am now every three months being checked and was also reminded to mention it to my obgyn, dentist and eye doctor. So far so good... I am also working at making sure I follow every screening recommendation as I want to be there as long as I can. This forum helped me a lot even though I was probably reading way too much during the diagnosis confirmation lead time. I think it took me months to mentally recover from the hit despite the good news and thank you to all who are providing your time and support for those in need. 

• Hi PaulineB, I'm so pleased at your good news.  That must be such a relief for you hon.  What a frightening time you've had being pregnant and having a little one too.  You've done amazingly well coping with all this.  It's really good that whilst the result was melanoma it was only an early stage one.  Were you given a stage of disease?   

I'm glad you've got good follow-up too.   Now you can concentrate on enjoying your children hon, take care xxx

• Thanks allotment lover! Yes it was a stage 1A.