Hello I’m new to the group and joined for emotional support

• 1 reply
  • 65 subscribers

Hi I’m new to this group. I was diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer last year. It’s all been removed but some days I struggle especially when it’s sunny out-I find myself just preferring to be indoors.

• Hello Cakebake and welcome.  I'm sorry to hear you were diagnosed with melanoma last year.  It is always such a shock isn't it?

I'm just finishing a year of treatment and am still very apprehensive about what the future holds.  I don't think it makes a difference what stage you were diagnosed with there remains the worry about it returning.  It still a good thing to avoid that hot sun even when there are clouds about and naturally you are going to be concerned about getting another melanoma.  I'm guessing you had a very early stage melanoma diagnosed as you don't mention any treatment and that's a good thing to start with hon.

But when the word cancer is said we all worry about any odd looking leisions.  Are you still under the dermatologist for skin checks?

We have all sorts of people on here including those who have a worrying mole but on excision find it's benign to those who have had recurrence after some years and all need support so you've come to the right place.   The concern about further melanomas stays with us no matter what the original diagnosis was so you are behaving like many others in your situation so please don't worry you are being odd.  Keep wearing factor 50 sun cream, cover up too and avoid being out in the sun from 11 to 3.  You can still go out but be safe. Take care xx