Diagnosis of Acral Lentiginous Melanoma

• 3 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hello all ... I have recently been diagnosed with subungual acral lentiginous melanoma in my left thumb, Breslow 5.3mm, 2 mitoses/mm2, pT4a, Stage 2b, no lymphovascular or perineural invasion. I'm booked for a full body CT scan with dye tomorrow, head MRI with dye on Tuesday next week, and to see the plastic surgeon on Wednesday to discuss amputating my thumb and other treatment.

It's left me and my family in complete shock as this started 3 years ago with a ridge in my thumbnail which developed into a split (there was no colour pigmentation), my GP said it wasn't anything to worry about Disappointed

Unfortunately I've been told that this type of melanoma is a rare one so I feel like there isn't that much information out there about it and up to now I've tried to resist 'googling'. Is there anyone on this forum that has this particular type of melanoma?

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is an informative and supportive place to be.

Although I had a different type of melanoma to you I can completely understand how shocked you must be feeling right now. How did the CT scan go? I think your MRI is due tomorrow so I hope that goes well.

I noticed that no one has come forward yet to tell you about their experiences with acral lentiginous melanoma so I did a search and found these previous posts which you might like to have a look through. I'm also 'tagging' into my reply to you as they are the most recent poster here who has had this type of melanoma. Hopefully they'll be able to pop on and tell you about their experiences.

Although your type of melanoma might be rare we all understand how you'll be feeling so do come back and let us know how you're getting on.

(((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, I was diagnosed with acral lentigious melanoma stage 1b in between 2 toes. It was all removed with 3 monthly checks currently. I'm sorry I can't help with any info/experiences of your diagnosis . Meanwhile I wish you very best with your apps treatments. If you use Facebook there are a few good communities for acral melanoma. 

• Latchbrook and Shelvox ... many thanks for your messages

CT scan completed and MRI today, plastic surgeon tomorrow. I'm not sure when I'll get results from these but hopefully seeing the plastic surgeon will help me to feel as though there is some treatment plan that can be started.

Sending best wishes xx

Deb ... 'I can ... I will ... and I shall' Blossom