Basal cell carcinoma 3rd one

• 6 replies
  • 57 subscribers

I have just been referred for two more biopsies one on my nose and another on my forehead but she was 100 % certain that they would be positive, the other two they removed from my nose one on the end , and the other from the side , they were just stitched up, my nose looks awful, to now do another one at the side of the original site will look like a rat has chewed it, two people I know have had similar operations at another hospital but have had skin grafts, and you can’t see anything  now, how do I get this procedure done. I have asked for a private telephone consultation, but the other two people had it done on the nhs. Would be grateful for opinions.

• Hi and welcome to the melanoma group

I'm sorry to read that you're being referred for two more biopsies for suspected basal cell carcinoma (BCC). I can understand you being worried that your nose will be disfigured further by this. I had a very large excision on my arm for melanoma but, thankfully, the scar has faded and is hardly visible now. However, your face is much more visible so you want to get the best result you can.

I hope that you don't mind me suggesting that you also join and post this in the skin cancer group as you'll find lots of people there who have excisions on their nose for BCC and you could ask them whether they had skin grafts, etc. To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'click to join' on the page that opens. You could then copy and paste this into a new post there to save you typing it out again.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Hutchm,

Sorry to hear about your BCC woes. I have had two skin grafts on my cheek and two on my nose. The cheek grafts were successful but the nose grafts did not take. Skin grafts on the nose are a bit less likely to suceed than elsewhere. The skin grew back but is slightly indented and whiter than the rest of my nose. By the way, skin was taken from just over my collar bone for the four grafts.

I would definitely favour just closing the area with stitches over a graft if the surgeon says that the skin has enough elasticity to make this possible. If the site is close to a previous site, the surgeon may be able to rework the old site at the same time to leave just one scar.

However, the most important thing is what you do afterwards! You need to use sun block when you go out (factor 50) even in winter once the plasters come off and to massage the site to break down the collagen. This would be true of a skin graft too.

It has taken me three years of massaging to get my cheek skin grafts to the stage where they are fairly smooth but the grafted skin remains whiter than the skin around it. It's a long process.

I've also had several other BBCs removed by just closing up the area and they healed and faded much more quickly.

Hope this helps. Good luck whatever you decide to do

Miranda

• Where they stitched up the original bcc on the nose, does not look good 5 years on, and I have seen two people with skin grafts on their nose, and it looks good, but I am going to see a private surgeon, so I will take their advice. But I am sad that I have been so careful since the original bcc 5 years ago, I cary factor 50 around in my bag, and never go in the sun without a hat on, and I still got another one, now two more. Can you remember when you had the biopsies did you have stitches, I can’t remember, it was 5 years ago. Thanks for replying.

• Hi Hutchm,

Yes, I have always had a stitch after a biopsy. I've had several BCCs and biopsies. The biopsy sites healed up very quickly. 

Hoping everything goes well for you

Miranda

• Thanks will let you know.