All SLNB cancelled

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi Everyone, just been told that all SLNB around the country have been cancelled due to needing to be taken to many departments and the virus. WLE are still going ahead at the moment but it's changing daily. They may do mine under local in a theatre as they are trying to discharge patients asap. God help them the chances of me getting up and running away are high. I wonder can  I be given seditaives? ;0 

Once WLE has been done the SLNB can't be in the future . Anyone know how they will test whether the cancer has spread?

Think of you all through this scarey time .

Cx

• Hi , sorry to hear your SLNB was cancelled, not all people opt for them, and as you say they can only be done at the time of the WLE. Afterwards you will be monitored 3 monthly to check your skin and lymph nodes. They can do ultrasounds and CT scans to check for any spread later if it’s identified that you need that. I was only diagnosed when it had spread, a lump had come up and I’d been feeling unwell. I’ve had CT scans every 3 months for the last 4+ years. 

Take care KT

• Hi

Sorry to hear that your SLNB has been cancelled. Are you still having the moles from your back removed at the same time as your WLE?

I don't know whether you can be given sedatives before your WLE. Your SCNS would be a good person to ask about this as, if it can be done, she can tell you whether it's the hospital or your GP who would prescribe them.

As KTatHome has already mentioned, the SLNB is optional and not everyone opts to have it. Whether you've had it or not, once your WLE has been done you'll then move on to 3 monthly check-ups with a dermatologist when you'll have your skin and lymph nodes checked.

Let us know how it goes

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Don’t worry too much about the operation. I had the WLE and SLNB with local in a theatre a few years ago and didn’t feel a thing. I think you can have a sedative.It is a scary time.I hope it goes ahead for you 

Lgrgdg90
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm really worried about this

I have WLE &SLNB scheduled for 17th April. Tried to speak to surgeons secretary who said he would call me, nothing so far but seems to confirm this is the case. Anyways whilst I completely understand the current situation that the NHS is in is it right that cancer screening is halted? A close friend has recently gone through the same process after a thin melanoma diagnosis and have found trace cells in lymphnodes, he is now on targeted therapy as a belt and braces approach. So if my SLNB is cancelled I have no way to know if I'm being denied this treatment or at least not until swollen nodes become apparent , then you have to assume cancer is more advanced. 

So I'm sure I'm over thinking my chances of a positive SNLB but the fact it was offered indicates a risk   honestly I'd rather risk the C-19 than cancer..

I think I just need someone to tell me I'm being daft!!! .and that actually the SNLB makes no difference 

Cheers M

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi , just messaging to let you know that I had a WLE a couple of weeks ago under local. I’m going to be honest when I say that the needles for the local anesthetic were very painful but then after that I obviously couldn’t feel a thing. The doctors put in dissolving stitches because they said that I wouldn’t be able to come back in to get them out because of coronavirus. I’ve been putting lots of Vaseline on the wound so that the stitches dissolve - it’s been 3 weeks and they are still there but it looks like it’s healing well. All the best for your op.