FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi All, I had a leg mole (which I have had for a long, long time) removed in early Jan and had the shock of hearing the words its Melanoma on 14th Jan.  It was 1.3mm, I meet with plastic surgeon tomorrow to see if I will need a skin graft for the wle and I am also having snlb, they said they will remove the groin lymph node.  Reading some of the comments, what I am feeling is pretty similar.  Fear, panic, anxiety, quite severe health related anxiety..suddenly every symptom is related and I am thinking the worst at times.  I have a very supportive husband of 23yrs.  My kids are 21, 19 and 13 and I work full time.  I have managed to keep in work apart from 2 days where anxiety was too much.  I am a spiritual person and find that mindfulness and meditation is helping me when the anxiety tries to spiral.  I am also a crochet addict and find this helps.  I am hoping for an Op date soon, the waiting is just awful isn't it.

• Welcome to the melanoma group , you are not wrong the waiting is awful! 

I’m glad mindfulness and meditation are helping, they are both skills I’m not very good at but I will be trying again. My go to for anxiety is walking which is fine during the day but not helpful late at night. I suppose that’s when I have to think of 3 positive things that were good during the day before going to sleep. 

I hope you hear soon about your op date, I think I’d be tempted to chase things up incase you’ve slipped through the net, but every area is a bit different, working for the NHS you might know if you’ve waited a bit longer than most to get your date. 

Best wishes

Take care KT

• Hello Untangled2020

welcome 

I’ve been on here this forum in my hours of need on and off since October.please read my profile as I’m in a similar situation to yourself.

I am Just recovering from WLE and SNLB on the 15 th January.it’s  going well thankfully didn’t need the skin graft. I’m not back in work yet.

waiting for my biopsy results has been mentally very hard. 3 weeks tomorrow.Hopefully I will know by the end of this week.Fingers crossed
    and your are right the waiting has been awful.but not long now Blush

not Being able to walk my dog has been difficult which  I find a good de stresser  unfortunately so I’ve sat with my leg up eating too many chocolates.Not good !
    So Instead This week I’ve been starting to do some simple  pencil sketches of my dog. Which is great if he’d only keep still Ha ha.  crochet is a wonderful skill to have.and if it’s ,working that’s all that matters.

keeping occupied what ever it is ,if it creates some calm I think thats got to be good for you. I too use mindfulness on occasion to de stress.

Best of luck with everything ,if you want to know anything about  my experience so far please ask ,I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Best of luck 

Best wishes FannyFayeFaffington.xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Fannyfayefaffington

Thank you both for replies and sharing your stories is also really helpful, I saw consultant today and he said that the mole was superficial spreading, they did a first wle , I had 9 stitches and that area was clear of cancer cells, nothing untoward felt in lymph nodes but because its 1.3mm they have offered wle and slnb for which I will need a graft. He said the op will be asap and definitely within 30 days, he also said that around 80% of my type and depth have a negative result so feeling more positive today. X

• Hi Untangled2020

So glad Your feeling better, just keep up with those positive vibes.Thumbsup

Best wishes FannyFayeFaffington.xx