Two appointments . . . why?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 55 subscribers

It’s been 4 weeks of waiting and my biopsy results have finally come through. They have offered me an appointment this Friday with the melanoma nurse to find out. They refused to give me my results over the telephone. I have another appointment with the surgeon for a consultation the Friday after. So that’s pretty much confirmed that’s it’s melanoma. Can anyone shed any light with what to expect from these appointments? Did anyone else get two and what does it mean? 

When I get my results will they be able to tell me what stage it is or will they need to do further tests? 

It would really help to hear other people’s experiences when they found out their results.  I know I have melanoma I just have no idea what’s going to happen in these appointments

Much appreciated x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Welcome to the special way the NHS breaks news - I got an appointment for a pre-surgery assessment through at one point, before I’d had the results appointment to tell me whether I needed surgery!

It certainly sounds like they’ve got something to tell you, but bear in mind that surgery is the standard treatment for most skin cancers, so it could potentially still not be melanoma.

I had my results from my dermatologist, who explained the multi-disciplinary team at the hospital had already met to discuss my case, and that I’d get an appointment with the plastic surgeon to discuss the surgery. I did get a staging at that initial results appointment, and I also asked for a copy of my Histopathology report from the biopsy. I have a science background so I wanted that detail and found it very useful to refer back to. 

The next appointment with the surgeon was to go through what would happen, get a date, and sign the consent form.

The initial staging of melanoma will determine whether they then do a biopsy of the nearest lymph node or not to see if it has spread. If melanoma cells were found in the lymph nodes, then that would change the staging.

I would say at this point, try not to terrify yourself googling everything. There have been many advances in treatments in the last couple of years, showing much better outcomes that haven’t necessarily been updated all over the internet yet! 
    Keep yourself busy between now and your appointment and try not to dwell too much until you know.

Best of luck and let us know how Friday goes. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks Kate that’s what happened to me I got the pre surgery assessment first it’s only when I called up to find out more details did I find out that I also had another appointment this Friday to see the Melanoma nurse. 

That's really helpful thanks I was worried the first appointment might not provide any details and it was just going to be about breaking the news. Which i already know. I wasn’t sure how the staging worked and whether I would have to wait for further tests but at least I’ll get some form of initial staging. 

At least it’s only days to wait and not weeks. I can’t help but think worst case scenario I’m really hoping I’ve caught it early. 

Thanks for all the info at least I have an idea now of what to expect. I’ll keep you updated Relaxed️ xx