Newly diagnosed with incurable lung cancer.

• 70 replies
  • 157 subscribers

Hi everyone. 

• Hiya I've been diagnosed with lung cancer only 4 weeks ago. Finding it very hard to handle

• Hi Muffin, I'm really sorry to hear your news and I bet it did come as a surprise it always does. You will be having mixed emotions right now and it probably hasn't sunk in yet properly either. You are not alone there are plenty of people out there with a listening ear for you, who will understand what you are going through.

I'm not sure what cancer you have or stage but your oncologist will discuss all the options available to you. The cancer staff are brilliant and so very kind and will spend time with you if you don't understand something. Hopefully you have been given the name and number of your cancer nurse, please use them especially when you are putting 2 and together and getting 5. Have you contacted Macmillians as they will allocate a nurse to you who will be there every step of the way.

I was diagnosed in March this year and I have combined lung cancer which is bad news for me as it is the SCLC that there is limited treat for as it travels through the blood anywhere in the body. I have had 20 days of very high radiation which wasn't bad for me and the time went very quickly. I have my 3 month CT scan on the 13 August which will give me info if the tumor has shrunk or not and if there has been any spread anywhere else and what the next step is for me. 

Cry if you want to cry and scream and shout if you want to, hopefully you have a supportive family they won't know what you are going through but will be there every step of the way.

Keep your chin up and take 1 day at a time. Sending hugs and kisses Jean x

• Hi laineyJ welcome to the group, but sorry you find yourself here. There are a few of us here who are incurable but treatable. 

It is so scary being given a cancer diagnoses, but when you are told it is incurable it is terrifying. We know how that feels. Here is the best place to come and talk to people in the same situation as yourself, in a safe and supportive environment.  There’s always someone here with a listening ear x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi muffin break. Sorry to hear of your diagnoses. It is such a terrible shock. Do you know what type of lung cancer you have? Or what treatment you will be having? Lots of people here with experience of lots of different treatments. Lung cancer treatment has come such a long way in recent years. 

When I was diagnosed I went to pieces. I thought that was the end, and I was leaving my children behind. My youngest was 13 at the time. She has just celebrated her 21st birthday, a day I never thought I would see. Keep the faith. 

Do you have support at home? The Macmillan support line are always there if you need to talk. They are available 7 days a week from 8am til 8pm on 0808 808 00 00. And there is always someone here if you need to chat x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hiya I went in hospital 3 weeks ago to have tumer removed but it wasn't a success. The surgeon told me after that it was to advanced and stage 4. So now I'm waiting to see what treatment they are going to give me. I really can't take it in. I've always kept myself fit, I gave up smoking 30 years ago to avoid this ?

• Hello, I'm going to hospital next Tuesday and then they should tell me what treatment going to be best. It's really all to much to take in ?

• Hi glad to hear things are starting to move for you and yes it is a lot to take in. If you can take someone with you that is the best thing to do or you could tape the conversation on your phone so you can listen to it again when your mind is a bit clearer.

Good luck for Tuesday and hope all goes well for you.

Hugs and kisses sent to you keep your chin up and hope all goes well for you.

Jean xx

• Hi just to let you know I was in the same position as you I had surgery only for it to come back that was 18 months ago I also thought that this was the end too I tried immunotherapy it didn’t work for me but I am now on chemotherapy every 3 weeks and it seems to be working for me they say I can keep having it as long as it’s working but there are lots of different options I’m sure they will find one to suit you hope this helps 

• Thank you. I had surgery to remove 4cm leision last June when I was 47 yrs old. My scan this June showed 5-6 nodules in the remaining lung so cancer came back. Although I did smoke for years b3fore giving up 5 years ago, the rare type of cancer I have is normally found in life long non smoking, younger fit people. Im taking tablets just now and can keep taking them as long as they are working and my body can deal with them. 

Although it’s devastating and I just can’t take it all in still, I feel blessed that I am able to start treatment with medication which I’ve been taking for almost a month. The only side effects I seem to have just now are acne on my face and neck, rash on my chest and really can’t cope with direct sunlight anymore. 

The alternative to the medication is chemotherapy and immunotherapy. 

I live alone and my whole world revolves around my grandson who turned 5 yrs old yesterday. Taking him to Blackpool for a few days soon. 

Need to continue working full time too for as long as I am able because I just can’t afford to give up work. 

Good days and bad days like everyone else and just feel like I’m moving around, not actually living just now. 

I hope things are going ok for you just now.

take care xx

• Hi I also have nodules in my lungs and have asked for an extra week off this week I’m on my 8th dose of chemo and can continue as long as it’s keeping things stable goad your having treatment at least you feel like there’s hope at least I do ThumbsupI too am only 57 with 2 granddaughters and have had to finish work which was really hard for me as I worked full time in a job I loved for 20 years there are lots of treatments you can have so if tThumbsups one doesn’t suit you they will try something else so please try and keep positive every day is a good day that’s my mindset take care ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup