hello have just had surgery to remove cancer and half lung

• 17 replies
  • 145 subscribers

anyone elst the same 

• Hi there, I had right upper lobectomy nearly 5 weeks ago for cancer. How are you doing?

• Hi there, hope you’re doing ok after your lobectomy. I myself had a lobectomy 3 weeks ago on my left lung where a mass high up in the lung was very close to a main artery, thankfully it was removed with no complications. I’m waiting to see the surgeon/consultant in 3 more weeks now to see what it was weather it’s a new cancer or a metastasis from my Chondrosarcoma I had in my soft tissue of my right knee 7 years ago resulting in above knee amputation, luckily there was enough of my stump to wear a good prosthetic leg and get on with life. Having cancer again and surgery again has really made me think more about life. Not sure weather you think the same but sometimes I’m not sure if I’m coping with it or I am. My mind is like a whirlwind of so many thoughts good and bad trying to find answers that aren’t there yet. My children now with the scars on my left side and my leg missing say I look like I’ve had a fight with a shark. Those kind of things do put smiles and laughter on your face. Hope you have similar smiles and laughter through these testing times. Let’s kick this cancers arse right into touch. Thank you Pray 

• Hello again, I know what you mean about mind being in a whirlwind. Sometimes I think I'm doing well, sometimes not, sometimes it's like it's happened to someone else.  Luckily for me it was my first fling with cancer and I do feel very fortunate, it was Stage 1, no spread in lymph nodes, operable. Not sure how, if like you, it was my 2nd fling, I think mabe that would hit harder. But we both have supportive friends and family and we making the most of the laughter when we can. Do you feel you're recovering well after your op?  I'll keep everything crossed that you get good news when you see your surgeon again and we can both kick cancers arse. Let me know how you get on xx

• Hello Bella27, that’s great that it hadn’t spread to your lymph nodes and your cancer was court early and removed. I do feel like I’m recovering quite well, sleeping better as at first my side was very painful but with all the drugs they give you it becomes tolerable. I’m walking every day now with my poles and the breathing has become a lot better. I do still find my side very sensitive to touch Are you having the same issues and are you walking about and doing light work at the moment. How long were you in hospital for. I had my op on the Friday and went home on the Monday evening, it felt great when they took the chest drain out what a strange feeling though. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts and I will keep updating on here. Take care xx

• Hi Prosthetic1

I found my side sensitive until about 5 weeks post op but much better now. I'm doing okay I think with the walking, doing between 1-2 miles a day and not too breathless but not going up and down any hills yet. I was only in hospital for 2 days but had to keep the chest drain for over 2 weeks, I know what you mean, weird feeling when it comes out but my god, what a relief, really felt so much better when that was out, stopped most of my meds then. Fingers crossed all goes well for you x

• Hi,  I had lower left lobectomy, upper partial, pleura and chest lymph removal just over six weeks ago.  Yesterday attended follow up and have my first oncology appointment next week.  It is such a turbulent emotional rollercoaster with  the past six months being spent waiting for the next test and subsequent results.  I am staying positive and trying to think each step is one step away from the beginning of this journey and a step nearer getting through it.  Chemo is my dread ........  but another hurdle.  We can get over these with help, support and hopefully beat this.  

• Hi   I had a lower right  lobectomy 2 and a half weeks ago through cancer and wondering what it is like after five weeks?  I still getting out of breath and find that I have to walk quite slowly and rest often.  

How far can you walk after 5 weeks and is it any easier that it was after 2?  Many thanks

• Hi cold water swimmer

I was about the same as you at 2 weeks, still getting out of breath. I'm now almost 7 weeks post op. I still get out of breath a bit when I'm going upstairs for example but not always. I have a treadmill and before my operation I was walking 2.5 miles in about 55 mins, I'm not a fast walker. I can now do 1 mile in 25 mins without stopping, I still get a little breathless when I start but it gets easier if I just keep going and I can also walk for 5 mins or so at a time at 3 miles an hour which is what I could do pre op. I still have a wheeze but I also have asthma so it could be that, going to talk to the GP about that today. I feel I could walk faster but I also have rheumatoid arthritis so that slows me down more than being breathless. I started writing down what I could do, how breathless I was etc once a week and there is improvement which is nice to see, it just seems to be a slow process and you can't always see the improvements yourself. Overall, I am so much better now than at 2 weeks and I'm sure you will be too, just be patient, at 2 weeks you are still healing, walk when you can and rest when you need to, as you get stronger everything gradually improves. Good luck and take care x

• Hi, just wanted to say I hope all goes well with your oncology appointment and they can answer some of your questions. Carry on being positive I think it does help x

• Thank you  .  That's very helpful.  I did notice a bit of improvement when I went for a walk this morning but a treadmill is a great idea.  If you can walk 5k in an hour, that's not slow!