Lung and Liver Metastases

• 2 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Can I please ask for some reassurance as I do not know how to deal with this.

My brother was diagnosed with Colon Cancer 3 years ago, it was removed and a Stoma bag fitted, this cannot be reversed, March 23  my brother had an operation to remove the Cancer in his Liver which unfortunately didn't work, and July 23 he was diagnosed with new solitary  11mm Liver metastasis with progressive lung nodules.

The reason for my post today is that May 24 we were told that his Cancer was terminal, and he was given approx. 8 months but less than a year, he decided he was not going to have any more Chemo, the doctors advised me they would not be seeing him at the hospital anymore and to go home and live the best he can, I was to call when the time was right to have Palliative care, I am struggling because I don't know what signs I am meant to look out for, when is the right time, he has also been diagnosed with advanced COPD. I don't know where to go from here as Im struggling too, although I don't let him know. Does anybody have any advise for me ? 

• Hello Pacific, when all else fails think of the pacific ocean and pretend you are swimming in it not caught up in the maze of cancer. unfortunately your brothers cancer is advanced as are many, treatment is only aimed at giving the patient  hope . Your brother has made his decision as did my late husband , you  can ask for help for yourself too. I have been diagnosed with lung cancer plus COPD  but not terminal. This is just a thought if your brother passed suddenly  you would have no final time with him , this way you can be with him , talk too him  maybe he does want a final last wish that you could fulfil , make memories of your journey through cancer together. Talk to your GP about your difficulties right now. Palliative care is when your brother needs help to control pain ,breathing etc, this time is often a good time to take a trip down memory lane remember the good times and  build memories of your  journey with cancer & your brother. Those words  of we don't need to see you anymore at hospital are so final , but it could be quite a while  and you have to deal with that don't you ? my motto one  day at a time cherish each hour you have and make it count . I will be thinking of you . Take care you will need all you strength for the months ahead.  

• Thank you for the lovely message, and I hope you will be ok too  x