Feeling totally overwhelmed after Kidney cancer diagnosis

• 35 replies
  • 68 subscribers

I was diagnosed with kidney cancer yesterday.  And today struggling with trying to stay positive as everyone says.  I just want to shout I don't feel positive! Operation to remove kidney and pipework due in 4/6 weeks which I'm also struggling to imagine how I will cope. Going to be keyhole surgery carried out by a robot. Anyone else there that's a half empty type of person instead of half full? And any suggestions of how to manage the overwhelming anxiety that has set in about absolutely everything. 

• Hi, I had a partial nephrectomy Feb last year. Went to Mexico ending of the following June on holiday that’s how well I was. Surgery done using the wonderful DaVinci robot, assisting my surgeons. My surgeons put me at complete ease prior to the procedure. Music was playing in the operating room, my consultants feel good tracks. It’s all very chilled. I am one of the most anxious people you could ever hope to meet so I totally understand how you must be feeling. But honestly once you get to hospital to have your operation it’s all good from there. Lots of amazing people on this forum to explain things too you. But believe me the sense of relief when the ‘bad bits’ have been professionally removed, is overwhelming. 

• So is this op done awake!. They gave me paperwork yesterday about it all but Im too frightened to read it as Im sure it will make me feel worse

• No your operation is done under general anaesthetic. You won’t know anything about the operation until you wake up in the recovery room. A nurse will be with you as you go to sleep and when you wake up. You can choose to have your anaesthetic before you are taken to the operating room I think. I think my surgeon just liked to chat to me and the longer you are awake before your operation the better I assume. As people will tell you, it’s no where near as awful as you think it will be. 

• Thank you for that does make me feel a little easier.

• I completely echo everything Cilla has said above. I had my robotic partial nephrectomy a couple of weeks ago. I am considering a holiday at the end of next month as recovering well. Also had lots of anxiety, which is still somewhat there whilst I am waiting for my results and follow up appointment but the relief that the follows the surgery was overwhelming and outweighed all of that for me. Be kind to yourself and take one day at a time

• Honestly I am an extremely anxious person, ask my husband, yet I felt like the most bravest person in the world the day of the operation. You will be fine.. of course it's nerve wracking waiting to be called into the booth before get you into the operating theatre. But it's ok, you're put to sleep and wake in recovery... xx  we're all here to tell our story. I had mine on 21st June and I'm back at work and have been for 4 weeks! X 

• Thank you for your reply. I am glad you are back at work and wish you well for your other tests.  During the day I can just about keep everything under control but come the evening, and the sun is starting to set now, the anxiety really starts to kick in. I managed to get something to help me sleep from the Doctor today so maybe that will be some relief. I have 4/6 weeks wait until my op not sure how I am going to get through it.

• It's a shame none of us know where we're all situated in the uk, would be nice to meet up. I'm based in Northamptonshire. 

• I'm in Bournemouth, Dorset

• 150 miles away, or 3hrs to be exact Joy x