Process of diagnosis

• 11 replies
  • 65 subscribers

Hello all first post here. I hope it's okay as I don't have a current diagnosis. I ended up in hospital with gallstones and a 'lesion' was discovered of 5cm in my left kidney.

I had an emergency CT scan.

A consultant came to see me and told me it's a tumor which will almost definitely need surgery and they suspect it's malignent. My case would go to MDT and I would receive communication within 2 weeks with a plan.

10 days on I have an email to say I have a telephone consultation in 2 weeks!!!

After surgery for gallstones iv tried not to think too much regarding this but I'm struggling to think another 2 weeks of having no idea what is going on?

Is this normal?

Thank you for any guidance 

K

• Hello, How are you feeling? 
    I have a lot of info about my story on my profile. So i won't bore you with it on here. 

Such a good thing they found the tumour and that they are hopefully going to remove the kidney! Sometimes you find on initial finding you are left alone with your own thoughts, no answers, no one to discuss things with. That time can be difficult, always here though should you need a chat.  Roll on that telephone consultation for you ! 

• Hey thanks so much for such a lovely reply.

I think due to my op iv been a but out of it and hoped by Thursday I woukd have had a clear plan do feelingba tad deflated and a little down.

Just read your profile... wow what a story!

I hope you remain well lovely x

• A consultation in 2 weeks is lightning speed for the NHS.  You're at the most difficult time, the unknown and the waiting.  We've all been through it.  Try and keep busy.  Take a day at a time, soon it will be the w/e and you're halfway through the wait.  That was my strategy.  Good luck.

• Hello Kymi290

As JD and Mmum have said, this waiting time at the beginning of the process is the hardest thing....so many questions, worries and anxieties buzzing round and round....

The helpline staff here are really helpful and reassuring. Do phone them if you need to talk things through. Try not to google! A lot of the information you'll find is often inaccurate, and out of date. Googling will probably make you feel worse!

If you can, try to distract yourself with positive activities whilst you wait for your phone consultation. Eating well and exercise are good too! 

Hope you are recovering well from your gallstones operation.

best wishes

Candysmum

• Thank you so much for such an encouraging reply and context.

At least it's before I'm due to go back to work..

Lots.of positive really x

• Thank you so much.

Unfortunately I am still in a considerable amount of pain from my op so can't do much which I would normally do like work and days out etc.

Best find a box set!

• The GP messaged me today to say she would try and obtain some more information.

Then received a message and my appointment has been brought forward to Saturday... feel so much relief!

Thank you all

• That's great news! Sounds like you have a good GP there.

Hope the appointment goes well and you get a treatment plan in place. 

best wishes

Kate

• Agree, google is NOT your friend during this period . 

• Had my consultant appointment today! Kinda guessed walking in for my appointment to a cancer centre.... with an obvious macmillan nurse there too...

Large tumor... kidney looked really weird on the scan?

Anyway thankfully the consultant was to the point and really good said almost definitely cancer... 99% best remove whole kidney asap.... 2 weeks ... 3 weeks max....

So yep that's it...feel so better now I know.