Large simple renal cyst right kidney - assumed not to be cancer but size is a concern to me - but not my gp.

• 7 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi, I'm a little bit concerned about the size of this thing and occasional pain/pressure feelings.  Online research says simple cysts are not cancer, and are rarely treated.

- cuh.nhs.uk/patient-information/laparoscopic-de-roofing-of-simple-renal-cyst suggests they are sometimes treated.

- kidney.org.uk/kidney-cysts suggests they are rarely treated and treatment is regarded as experimental

- my gp says trust the person (sonographer) who did the scan and treatment is not required

A recent ultrasound scan confirmed a 2020 CT scan of a fluid filled structure seen on AAA screening likely correlates to

a large simple renal cyst. This is located at the interpolar region of the right kidney and measures 11 x 7 x 6 cm.

Both kidneys are otherwise normal.

My question is simply 'how big is too big'

Any experience or advice would be helpful.

Appreciate my question may not be appropraite as this is not cancer.

• I have reposted in 'ask an expert' as that may be more appropriate,

• A friend of mine suffers with this and she now swears by a plant based diet.

• I had a 6cm lesion on my right kidney removed last week.  Apparently my doctor said 75% of lesions are cancer so they went ahead and removed my kidney.  I never had a biopsy and I had no symptoms at all.  Have they referred you to see a hospital consultant for reassurance if nothing else?

• Basically 'no' - i dont believe they told me when they originally found it approx 4 years ago.  I asked for the results of the scan and was told 'no action, nothing to report' - this is often the case, presumably to avoid follow up time.  The hospital has the scan, my notes on nhs login have the report, but not the scan.  I guess I'll let it go for now and only chase if i get pressure/pain in the area again.

thanks for your reply

• Pleased its a while so seems correct, anyway hope you don’t have further problems x

• Had a tumour on right kidney removed,scan said several simple cysts on left.

At the follow up after surgery was informed they had reassessed the cysts,one now diagnosed as cancer.Ask for a scan to compare with the last one.Monitoring should routinely be at least every 6 months .

I did pay for an ultrasound myself at start ,got results the next day as did GP.

• I had a radical nephrectomy last July,  no symptoms, find by an ultrasound scan, 16cm by 10cm by 13cm kidney tumour! First scan all clear! Waiting for results of second scan! Good luck with everything!