Mouth and throat

• 12 replies
  • 138 subscribers

Looking for advice from people who have had similar surgery for mouth and throat cancer 

• Hi Ali0304, welcome to the group. I had surgery to remove both my tonsils, followed by 30 sessions of RT and 5 out of 6 chemo days, that was back in 2017. There are many people in this group who have had all kinds of mouth and throat surgery. If you let us know what the surgery will be on, someone who have had the same, will be able to help, with that. We are all here to help so stick with us.

Ray.

• Thankyou for yr apply I've had the whole of my pallett  removed and lymph notes in throat

• Hopefully someone who has had similar will come along, with their experience of it.

Ray. 

• Does anybody  go on hwre

• Does anybody  go on hwre

I have done a search for you. Have a look through the threads. You might be able to join one to get a reply 

I’ve searched pallett and Palate which is the right spelling. Strange language English. Not phonetic at all. 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/search?q=Pallet#serpq=Pallet&serp=1&serptag='head%20and%20neck%20cancer'

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/search?q=Palate#serpq=Palate&serp=1&serptag='head%20and%20neck%20cancer'&serpgroup=100

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Ali sorry I can’t help my cancer was tonsil and no surgery. I’m trying to think of anyone in the last 6 years but at minute no one springs to mind. Sorry. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi Ali

Although my cancer is different to yours (jaw cancer) as part of one of my ops for a maxillectomy I have had my palate (roof of the mouth) removed. The first maxillectomy in 2019 was only partial removal and I then had an obturator to cover the hole. The second maxillectomy in 2021 I had the rest of my palate removed and had a skin graft from my forearm to cover the hole. It all went well and I am very happy with the result. As I had my upper jaw removed I no longer had teeth so now have a denture. Will you still have teeth after they remove your palate?

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi Lynn thankyou for yr reply I will get my new teeth once my mouth as healed there giving me in scree in onea may I ask how was you mentally after your operation kind regards aliaon

• That's OK how are you doing now

• Hi Ali

I felt demoralised after my op in 2019 and got  depressed as I realised that life as I knew it would never be the same again. It was my second op for jaw cancer (previously had a mandibulectomy in 2013) and it hit me hard and it took me a while to come to terms with my new situation. My surgeon and G.P. were very supportive and encouraging and suggested I have a short course of antidepressants. However I found that talking about how I felt really helped so I did not take up the antidepressants. I found this forum a great source of support as I could express my feelings here with no judgement. It made me feel that I was not alone and that others understood how I felt. Over time I adjusted to my new normal and got back to the things I used to love. When I got a third occurrence of jaw cancer in 2021 this time I took it in my stride as I had already gone the full range of emotions previously and had adjusted over time and had a good idea what to expect of the operation.

Life is good for me now and I am really enjoying it. I am now retired and  love volunteering at my local library, pottering in the garden, helping out with the grandkids, going on holidays.

How are you coping mentally? There are ups and downs but there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. It just takes a while to adjust to your new normal. If you are struggling Macmillan has counseling and that might help.

Sending you positive thoughts

Lyn

Sophie66