Does the joy of eating return?

• 28 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hello everyone. I’m three months post treatment. I was fortunate in that it wasn’t such a bad ride for me. I regained my sense of taste 3 weeks post treatment and can eat anything but have lost the joy of eating. Does it return?  I have zero appetite. Is there anything I can take to bring back my appetite?  I am so glad for Ensure as I’d be skin and bone without it. Walked round Aldi food shopping and thought I’d sooner be in  B&Q.  

I eat a proper breakfast and snack on oat cakes, shortbread and dried fruit plus hard boiled eggs. I’ve cut back on my breakfast Ensure. 

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you 

• Hi not sure it’s for everyone. I found a good Thai curry woke up my taste buds. I now need. Big flavours otherwise it’s just food if that makes sense 

• Yea it does. I love my curries but need mild one at the moment.  I’m ready to try anything. 

• I must admit I couldn’t be bothered to eat for months but I just made myself eat. No amount of adding herbs and spices or making the food attractive did it for me so I just ploughed on and ate it. It became simply fuel to recover. By six months it became easier and I started actually enjoying my meals. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • This is how I’m deleting Dani.  I made a pasta sauce to go with pasta . I ate 1/3 and gave the rest to my husband. The poor guy has to add extra workouts to keep the pounds off because I keep giving him what I don’t eat 

• The poor guy has to add extra workouts to keep the pounds off because I keep giving him what I don’t eat 

Noooooooo

Put it in the fridge and microwave it later. Forget the three meals a day and have six instead. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi it dors  but the first 6-9 months for re me food was fuel I derived very little pleasure. But slowly it returned its early days for you. I’m the odd ball still can’t do any chilli or curry but make up for it on other ways  

Hazel xx

gif it on other  ways. 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Has anyone tried YFood this is food,500 calories meal in a bottle. Not so gloopy as Fortisip and has far more taste 

• I had a different problem for a while, walking round a supermarket I'd see stuff that looked great in theory, so buy it, and end up throwing it in the bin a couple of weeks later!

It's been a long time for me now and I've been through many ups and downs over the years but now, food is every bit as good as it was. I'm back on hot-ish curries (Madras/Jalfreizi), enjoying them hugely and eating a proper sized portion (which took a long time). I made a prawn and mussel cou-cous salad yesterday which was superb (though I say it myselfBlush), so it's not just strong flavours that are good, it's subtle ones as well. My son's taking me to an Italian restaurant for my birthday on Sunday and I'll be having all three courses, which is very new for me.

Slow progress at times admittedly, and I had another cancer diagnosis which put a spoke in the wheels for a fair period of time, but full joy is back! Been ten years for me which may seem a little daunting, but most take considerably less time than that. I found things got better if I stopped obsessing about it, so maybe it's a little psychological at times, was for me.

Back in the early days, the first thing that stimulated my appetite was Marmite, but you may hate it...it splits the crowd.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi DesRoss

Finished CRT in June 2023...Chippy food has been on my menu for a few months now...enjoying more with each meal...Black Pudding suppers...fish and chips...haggis suppers...Mild curries are enjoyable...butter chicken....Scotch eggs (heated)....had to stop the choccy biscuits ...not good for my teeth.

Peter

• I hadn’t thought of that. It’s been suggested I eat 6 meals a day. Good point , thank you