Does the joy of eating return?

• 28 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hello everyone. I’m three months post treatment. I was fortunate in that it wasn’t such a bad ride for me. I regained my sense of taste 3 weeks post treatment and can eat anything but have lost the joy of eating. Does it return?  I have zero appetite. Is there anything I can take to bring back my appetite?  I am so glad for Ensure as I’d be skin and bone without it. Walked round Aldi food shopping and thought I’d sooner be in  B&Q.  

I eat a proper breakfast and snack on oat cakes, shortbread and dried fruit plus hard boiled eggs. I’ve cut back on my breakfast Ensure. 

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you 

• I tried sweet chilli the other day and my mouth wasn’t happy with the chili. I’m going through gallons of maple syrup atm. It goes onto everything .  

• Never heard of it. I’ll look for it. Ensure and I don’t get on which is why I peg it into me . I’m so put off smoothies etc because they remind me of ensure Nauseated face

• I love marmite but not tried it yet. Thank you I’ll give it a go next.  When I was on steroids I wanted all the food but could not taste it.  Saved a ton of recipes for later. My YouTube and instagram were all food. Now off steroids I spend my time looking at them and gagging at the thought and unfollowing everyone. 

• Hi Peter, my teeth are so sensitive atm.  Loved fish and chips. Loved haggis too.  May it come back. Now my husband is enjoying it.  Our chippy sells butter chicken. I’ll try it. Thank you 

• Good luck...we've been having days out to Anstruther and Stonehaven for seaside chippies....hopefully the weather will improve.

• Hi there.  I am the same.  I need big flavours!  Very good way of putting it!   If I have a really tasty meal I absolutely love it.  However, some things do remain bland or different tasting. 
    all the best.  
    Lizzie 

• My appetite came back about a month ago, so 6 months after the end of RT. I hadn't been hungry for 7 months, then quite suddenly was. Moved from watching what I eat so I don't lose weight to watching what i eat so I don't gain weight Grinning

Mike 

• I like you regained taste quite quickly (immensely grateful for that).  It is more muted than before but I recognise and enjoy the taste.  At the moment because of my ulcers I can't eat after around mid afternoon and have to have Fortisips for my evening meal.  At 9 weeks post treatment the Fortisips don't satisfy my hunger.

I do find myself craving foods - oh why does the mobile chippy park on a Saturday outside my house???!!!!  However, I find myself saying "not just yet".  I experiment and push my boundaries, but know what I believe is a step too far.

Work on it and it will return. 

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • That’s encouraging. I’m dreaming of eating and enjoying it. 

• Hi, yes I am. I eat a proper breakfast now and omit the breakfast Ensure. During the day I snack. Thankfully my ulcers were never painful