Gifts in hospital

• 15 replies
  • 74 subscribers

My son is going into hospital soon for surgery to remove a tumour in his mouth.  Obviously he won't be able to eat or drink, so I was wondering what sort of gift we  could give him to take into hospital with him.  His friends have made him a patchwork blanket, but would a nice cushion be ok or maybe a dressing gown.  I'd appreciate some ideas.  Thanks

• Sorry to hear that. My biggest problems in hospital were boredom and lack of sleep, due to the 24/7 background activity. I found that something really good to read plus a daily paper, my iPad and a book of puzzles helped while away the time pretty well. Also, buy him a four foot long charger lead for his phone/tablet as the plug sockets are always way behind the bed. 

I wish him all the very best. 

• Like Mark said anything to keep him occupied, i had the same, a laptop, books, phone, crosswords, but a nice dressing gown or slippers always made me feel better especially when i ditched the gown and i could wear my own clothes. So anything that would make him feel more homely, even getting people to text him as it makes you feel less alone. I was lucky as i was normally by a window or had my own tv , its surprising how these small things help. What a smashing idea with the patchwork blanket, so kind and caring of his friends. Wishing you and your son all the best for the upcoming surgery,take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you both for your ideas.  Like you said, I think once he feels a little better it will be the boredom as, due to Covid restrictions, he wont be allowed visitors.  Thanks again.  Take care x

• Normally there is good and free WiFi in hospitals nowadays.  Maybe a tablet of some form if he does not already have one so you can video call and keep contact.  That will probably mean more than any physical items :-)

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thank you.  Take care x

• Hi 

if he taking  tablet or phone maybe an Amazon gift card or if he’s on i phone I pad a apple iTunes gift card he could choose music a book if he’s a kindle to down load. 
    Best wishes Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Lots of good suggestions already so can't really add much other than to agree that, for me also, the really big enemy is boredom, to the extent (in my case) I actually wanted to be on the phlebotomists list on her round just for a bit of human interraction. So absolutely whatever you think will keep his mind active. Hope all goes well for him, have you got any indication of how long he'll have to stay?

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.  Not sure, but think he will be in about 3 weeks.  Cancer is in his cheek and has spread to his jaw, so has to have some reconstructive surgery with bone taken from his leg.  Going to get him some adult puzzle books.  His wife is downloading some films onto his iPad.  We're going to try to set up face time so he can see his children, not sure if he will be able to speak for a while as he has to have a breathing tube fitted.  He is having a feeding tube fitted tomorrow, so that should help.  Thanks again for your reply, it's good to get some info from people in the know.  Take care x

• Some great suggestions.  Just to add, particularly in the early days after my surgery I really wasn't up to reading.  My son had lent me his ipad and downloaded some audio books for me which were a godsend.  I'd never listened to audio books before but they really came into their own as I could just close my eyes and get lost in the story. 

I was also gifted a small set of luxury handcream etc which I would never have bought for myself but lifted my spirits each time I used any of the products.  Your son may not appreciate the handcream but he might like some small luxuries. 

Oh, and don't forget pen and paper if he can't speak for the first few days.

Hope all goes well.

Linda x

• Hello, I am one month post surgery for removal of a tumour in my mouth and rim mandibulectomy as well as neck dissection. My “treats” were audiobooks (easier to listen than to read when my concentration was poor in hospital) and some “comfort” clothes, like cashmere socks (so soft!).

Once home and recovering I’ve had light scarves for round my sore and swollen neck.

I was gifted a hospital leaving outfit of very loose clothes that did up at the front. This was because my arm had a bulky bandage on it and I couldn’t get anything over my head.

Pyjamas with short sleeves and front buttoning were useful in hospital post-op.

Wishing your son the very best of luck with his op.