Gifts in hospital

• 15 replies
  • 73 subscribers

My son is going into hospital soon for surgery to remove a tumour in his mouth.  Obviously he won't be able to eat or drink, so I was wondering what sort of gift we  could give him to take into hospital with him.  His friends have made him a patchwork blanket, but would a nice cushion be ok or maybe a dressing gown.  I'd appreciate some ideas.  Thanks

• Thank you, I'll certainly get pen and paper for him.  It's little things like that you don't necessarily think of.  Thanks again. Take care.  Janet x

• Thank you for your reply.  My son's tumour is in his cheek and jaw.  I'll have a look for comfort clothes for when he gets home.  It's so good to be able to come on here and get messages from people who have been through the same thing.  As a family we are all trying to be positive for him and his wife and children.  Thanks again, hope you continue to improve.  Take care.  Janet x

• Hi,

Sorry your son (and all of you) are going through this.

One of the best gifts I got had a puzzle book, colouring book, crayons, hand cream, lip balm and kindle voucher. Things I didn't have to concentrate on, but could dip in and out of. It also felt a lot of thought had gone into it. 

Scarves a good idea too, maybe more so for after his time in hospital. I always wore one to RT sessions to protect my neck from the cold or the sun. Wearing them loose also covered my PEG- double bonus. Any comfy, soft clothes that can easily layer up or down also useful. 

Take care, Ronnie 

• Noise reduction headphones and earplugs.  Hospitals, even at night, can be quite noisy places and a good night’s sleep is important. zzz

• Thank you, I'll see if I can get some for him.  Take care