Waiting again!

• 32 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Some of you may remember my post that my husbands PET at 12 weeks post tonsil/lymph node radiotherapy, had shown clear lymph nodes but some uptake where his tonsils were, which may or may not be residual cancer.  The surgeon said 4 weeks ago that he needed a biopsy to see if it was inflammation or cancer. We have now been told the earliest for this will be end January and as the biopsy result takes 2 weeks we are looking at no result till mid Feb - 10 weeks after the consultant said he needed it.

We are really really anxious about this, the waiting to see if he still has cancer is unbearable and we are worried that if it is cancer, it will be developing all the time.   I have tried speaking to admissions, consultant sec, emailing clinical director and PALS to no effect. We have even enquired about having the biopsy privately but there is still a wait of several weeks.

We are at our wits end about the prospect of more weeks of worry, and not knowing if he will need further treatment.  This is a large teaching hospital and we know they are under pressure, but surely with cancer they should move a bit quicker. 

• Hi madaboutmutts, I do remember your last post, this does sound like a long time for a biopsy to be done. Please ask to have a meeting with your consultant along with the head nurse, its the only way you will get anywhere. I'm sure they cannot deny an appointment with the consultant, I had to do this once as I felt they were dragging their heels. A biopsy is normally done within two weeks, so I think you will have to insist in seeing your husbands consultant because half the time he does not know what is going on as he has other patients to diagnose, he relies on other hospital staff to sort it out. The office staff are not interested in your husband diagnoses, he is just a number to them and do not realise the anxiety it causes. Some might disagree with me but this is how i would be feeling if I was being treated like this. I hope you manage to sort this problem out, best wishes.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Chris.  I'm on the case again this morning.  Apparently Consultant Surgeon is away till next week and all I get are answer machines when trying to contact secretary. I've also left messages with Oncologists secretary, as he did say in a letter to GP (dated 10 Dec) that he would discuss the biopsy result with MDT team and see us in 2-3 weeks!!   So stressful especially as my husband still having throat soreness and is very worried the cancer is still there.  

• Thanks Chris.  I am on the case again this morning. Consultant Surgeon is away till next week and all I get are answer phones. I've also left a message on oncologist's phone as in a letter to GP (dated 10 Dec) he said he would discuss biopsy results with MDT and see us in 2-3 weeks!! It's so stressful especially as my husband still has throat soreness and is very worried the cancer is still there.

• Do you have a dedicated nurse you can contact? She might be able to Move things on.  When I had an issue before a scheduled appointment my surgeon’s secretary contacted him on holiday! 
    I agree with Chris about some office staff. My first ever appointment was downgraded as non urgent by somebody in some office. I kicked up such a fuss when my GP referral had not materialised in time they saw me straight away

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi. Yes we do have a nurse, but she says she has no influence on theatre lists.  I've spoken to PALS today and they say they are "working on it". They also emailed surgeon. I've also spoken to his sec who said she would also email him and admissions.  They will be fed up with me!!   

• Ah Ah well done for stepping up the pace, it normally does the trick so let's hope so. But carry on if you don't get the answers you need. Wishing you well. 

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi has Chris suggests keep on top of it , fingers x the Nhs gets it act together on Monday when it seems they should all be back at work .

my problem is with admissions randomly cancelled my next appointment as not urgent!!!!!!!!! Ummm I am 16 month into cancer remission and e n t consultant want to see me every 10/12 weeks. The booking clerk had the cheek to say to me yesterday  well we’ve no appointments available for next 3 months ! So I politely said  my consultant wants to see me has I am a cancer patient,well was reply we’ve nothing  for ear syringing  either. I took a deep breath ummm listen to me !,, I wanted to scream. Eventually he said I will contact someone and ring you back which us the standard fob off ! Did I get a call nope ,so back on trail Monday ,wouldn’t mind the reason my appointment was cancelled was it was booked 10 weeks out and only now take booking 6 weeks out but no appointment s think  someone having a laugh l Anyway I Truly hope you get somewhere next week, any consolation 2 of my blog followers contacted me yesterday they both like your hubby were showing uptake in tonsil area had had biopsy’s and both got results yesterday m like you had a terrible Christmas waiting and news was all clear !

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Grrrr Hazel 

What a shambles 

My appointments are shared between Maxfac and Oncology so my appointments are made every 4 months. Both consultants do the appointment on their computer screens before I leave and I have a hard copy at reception. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Hazel.

Just feels like we have been abandoned and nobody seems to care.  His radiotherapy treatment I cant fault but since then it's been poor.  We are very stressed with the uncertainty as to whether or not he has residual cancer in the tonsil, especially as he has a cough which we are not sure is a side effect of the radiotherapy?   Hopefully might get somewhere on Monday - though not holding my breath.  X

• Breathe deeply and fingers no toes crossed for you to get somewhere next week. I know what you mean think we are too scared to make too much noise as we've all got the next 5 years to get through,with hospital visits and don’t want to make too much fuss. 

Look forward to hearing your response when yiu get through to someone. Hang in you’ve done all the hard work .

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help