Oesophageal cancer treatment not working

• 12 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi

i have stage 4 oesophageal cancer and am currently being treated with Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine which have caused me to have some of the side affects associated with this treatment . I did have a break from treatment due to having a stent fitted and was poorly after my next lot of chemo which I think was due to having chemo to soon after having a stent fitted. I have spoken with my consultant today and he as told me the treatment is not working. I told the consultant that at 55 yrs old I am not yet ready to throw the towel in . The consultant did say I could carry on with treatment but it would be a lot harsher than my previous treatment. I was wondering if there is anybody in the group who is having any additional treatment as well as Oxaliplatin and Capacitabine.

Max

• Hi Max

Sorry to hear things haven’t gone so well with your treatment.

I’m 62 and I was diagnosed with stage 4 oesophageal with a spread to two lymph nodes and small tumours on my liver in February this year.  I’ve just started cycle four out of six today of oxalipilatin and capacitabene alongside immunotherapy which is keytruda (pembrolizumab) for up to 2 years after the chemo is complete. Side effects have been limited to tingling from the oxalipilatin and despite having another four weeks to wait for results of a recent ct scan my oncologist was cautiously optimistic earlier this week.

I hope you are able to find a suitable treatment to continue and wish you well and hope for better outcome.

Steve

• Hi Steve

Thank you soo much for the replying. I have an appointment with my consultant on 24/06 as I wanted to discuss further options as I feel my consultant as given up on me. I will mention about immunotherapy when I next speak to him. Again thank you.

Maxine

Thank you

• Hi Max I too started on 4 x chemo and "upto 2 years immunotherapy last week. I know that the criteria for the immunotherapy includes biopsies to measure PD1s in your tumour. The minimum in the UK is a measure of 10 (5 in the US) Luckily I scored 11 so was agreed funding. As this is a relatively new treatment for our condition I have no idea what results to expect at this early stage. In my case, because of metastatic lymph nodes mine is deemed inoperable and so incurable but I am keeping positive that although not the silver bullet it is going to prolong my future

Ask the question but be aware of the different courses for each of us. We are all different although linked by the same enemy

Best of luck 

Steve

• Hi Steve G

Thank you so much for replying to my post. All information given will hopefully help when I see my Consultant next time, as we all need to fight our corner. Once again thank you for replying. Wishing you all the best.

Maxine

• Hi Max

Sorry to hear you've been poorly on Capox treatment. My husband is also on this combined chemo (Round 7). He wasnt eligible for Immunotherapy  due to his PDL-1 count being too low (it had to be >10, but his was only 5). Could I ask what made your oncologist say the treatment wasn't working? Was it a scan or the problems with side effects? We are coming up for the 2nd 3-monthly scan and hoping it shows shrinkage. If not, I am not sure what other options might be available, if any. But it would be good to hear what you are offered on 24 June, so I will await your next post.

Wishing you all the best

M

• Hi Martha,

It was due to the results of my recent scan showing that the treatment was not working and that the cancer in my Oesophageaus had spread. I will update my post when I speak with my consultant on the 24th.

Wishing you and your husband all the best.

Maxine

• Hi, after seeing my oncologist on the 24th I was told my PDL-1 was too low it was zero so not eligible for Immuntherapy. I will however be starting on Docetaxel (Taxotere) on the 29th of June? 

Wishing you all the best

Maxine

• Hi, So sorry to hear your latest update. Wishing you all the very best with the treatment and hoping you see positive results.

Steve M

• Hi Maxine sorry to hear that you didn't make the cut for the immunotherapy, the different treatments used nowadays have advanced so much and are seemingly tailored to individual needs. I am sure that the course they have chosen for you is the best possible and that is what you have to focus on Best wishes Steve