Dad's operation desicion

• 34 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Please help. I'm new to this group. My dad was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus two weeks ago. He is being prepared for an operation. I'm sorry I don't know the name. Where they cut the osophagus and move the stomach up. He is in two minds whether to have it done but has a pre op on Monday. Wondered if anybody has had this done, knows the effects and survival rate, or what other options he could ask for. Sorry to be clueless. 

• Hi, for me it seemed clear. The operation required my right lung to be collapsed for approximately 9 hours. I had been a smoker for about 45 years so I didn't like the sound of that. The chemotherapy also weakens the immune system, so I decided that I wanted to keep my immune system as strong as possible to get through the operation and recover. Everyone has to decide what is in their own best interest. I don't regret my decision, my wife and son agreed that I was the one that had to decide what treatment I wanted and they supported my decision. Good luck with whatever you decide. Kind regards Frank.

• Well, the word from the team today is that my tumour is operable. They meet the surgeon next Tuesday to discuss I suppose I will get more info. The strange thing is that I feel slightly disappointed, I had geared myself up top go though Chemo, read up on all the side issues and now may not go through that. Not sure really what to think.

• Oh John

What fantastic news!

You never know, chemo may still be on the cards, before or after your op, but it is always good to have an understanding of what might be around the corner.

Tomorrow, once the surgeon has conversed with the team, you will know more... fingers crossed for you

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • John, that's great news that it's operable. You may still be offered chemotherapy before and after surgery though. Did they say to you that you won't be getting chemotherapy? Kind regards Frank

• Hi Hope_86, how is your dad doing now? How are you?

Keep strong. 

Ang x

• Hi Ang 

So sorry - not been on here for few weeks as had issues logging in.

How are you doing? And your dad? Been thinking of you. 

All ok with me thanks - feeling quite exhausted at the mo - I think things are just hitting me now. But my dad is doing well thank you - he is hole from hospital & recovering well from surgery. He is on soft foods now & week after next his diet pretty returns to normal but much smaller portions. 

We had the results back after the tumour was analysed - which showed clear lymph nodes & margains which was a relief.

He is still struggling with effects from chemo - neuropathy hasn’t improved too much & he lost all his fingernails from flot - although hair is growing back now.

He now has the difficult decision to make whether to have mop up chemo. Initially they said he needed to have it but as margains & lymph nodes are clear they’ve said it’s up to him. If he has it it reduces the chance of cancer returning by just under 5% (I thought it would have been more than this to be honest).  But on the flip by having the chemo again he will go through all the side effects & if his neuropathy gets much worse & starts to further affect feet he won’t really be able to go out - so quality of life won’t be great. I think he is very torn - had the 5% been higher I think he would definitely have it but I just think he is wandering whether the side effects & possible permanent affects are worth it.  It’s a tough one. 

I hope you’re doing okay. X 

• Hi zappaman

I meet the surgeons Thursday this week. No mention of chemo as yet. 

John

• One of my current concerns is that I have a continuous pain, or more of an aching high up in my throat. I know the endoscopy showed the tumour to be well down my Oesphagus it does not feel that way.