Dad's operation desicion

• 34 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Please help. I'm new to this group. My dad was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus two weeks ago. He is being prepared for an operation. I'm sorry I don't know the name. Where they cut the osophagus and move the stomach up. He is in two minds whether to have it done but has a pre op on Monday. Wondered if anybody has had this done, knows the effects and survival rate, or what other options he could ask for. Sorry to be clueless. 

• Hi, I think the operation you are referring to is an Ivor Lewis oesophagectomy. I had one in 2016 and I was 57 years old and had been a smoker for about 45 years. If he is in reasonable health then he should get through it and recover, although it can take time. I felt it was worth it, otherwise I would not be here to reply to you. It's a big operation but it's worth it you have to eat small amounts of food to start with after the operation.  I wouldn't concern yourself with the survival rate they're only averages. I was given a 20-25% survival rate to last 5 years. And here I am almost 5 years on still enjoying life, eating well and still capable of having a few pints. To me there was no other options as I decided not to have chemotherapy and radiotherapy prior to surgery. Please feel free to ask anything else you want to know and if I can help you I will. Above all else having a positive attitude and a determination to get through this is a big help. Kind regards Frank

• Thank you so much for that reply Frank. That has really helped. I'm happy to hear you are still eating and drinking and doing well when it's almost five years. That's very promising. Dad is 69 years old. They have said to my dad that he will have to have chemo pre surgery. I think this is what he doesn't want. It would be good if he could have the op without the chemo. At the moment he can't even swallow porridge. The liquid food has to be puree. He has been like this for a couple of years now. Thanks again for your reply. All the best for your continued improved health. Angela. 

• ryss hi i had 2 stage oesophagectomy operation on 30 june 2021 ,this was after 4 rounds of flot chemo op was 7 hours long then intensive care unit for 2 days,then onto ward pain was well managed with morphine and other drugs ,i had 8 tubes in after op but these come out after a few days,doctors said my op went really well and i was home after 8 days it was only option for me ,but 100% worth it i am now recovering at home ihave a feeding tube inserted for nightime feeds and am eating small amounts soft food throughout the day ,i am a 61 year old male and am in reasonable health so stay as positive and strong as y can chemo is tough but your dad will get through it ,please ask if y want any more info all the best stay positive ryss

• Hi Angela 

I don’t have experience of the surgery, but my dad who is 66 is currently preparing for it. We don’t have a date yet, but expecting mid to late August.

Your dad is in a similar position to mine that he needed chemo before the surgery. My dads tumour was 10cm so wasn’t operable due to the size, however it has now shrunk enough from the chemo to have the surgery now.

Not sure if your dad has a date yet for chemo. My dad had 4 rounds of flot chemo. Just before chemo started he was starting to struggle with most food and we were just about to start on a liquid diet. After 1 round of chemo he noticed he could swallow a little easier, then from mid way through he has eaten pretty much normally - albeit smaller portions to begin with - but was amazing to see he could actually swallow food again.  So for him as unpleasant as chemo is it has allowed him to have surgery which we hope will save his life. 

I read on here a little while ago a comment regarding the op that you go to sleep with cancer and wake up cancer free - I like to think of it that way. 

Wishing you and your dad all the best. 

• Thank you so much for replying, especially so soon after your operation. I'm so glad it went well for you. Is the feeding tube something that is permanent, or will they remove that for you later on? Keep going with it and I am wishing you all the best in your recovery. 

• Wow, our dad's are certainly in the same sort of position. It's so nice to hear that your dad can eat after chemo. It's just a basic in life that we take for granted and something we want more than anything for our dad's. My dad loves his food and hasn't been able to enjoy it now for a couple of years. I think I would cry if I actually saw him eat. All the best for your dad's coming operation. 

• Yes - the ability to eat is definitely something we take for granted isn’t it. 

My dad is the same with food - loves it & him and my mum would often go out for a few meals a week & it so hard to watch them not be able to eat, or just eat a tiny portion of something. 

I would say my dad is eating back to what he was pre cancer now - really hoping your dad experiences the same after a few treatments.

Thank you - he has just been given a date for 2nd August & is now feeling very worried and anxious - he was initially told no earlier than middle of august - so he had prepared himself for this, so this has thrown him out a bit. We just keep trying to reassure him he will be fine & when he was first diagnosed we wasn’t sure surgery would even be an option. 

Wishing your dad all the very best with his treatment. 

• Hi Hope & Queen Angie

You already have some great advice from the group and community here. They were super supportive to me too some 4 years ago now. (sept 2017 I had the Ivor Lewis - 11 hours in surgery).

Like you, we entered a whole new world , both daunting and terrifying as often the world of the unknown is. 

My daughter and I made a blog to capture our Journey and help others who may take a similar route. It's a simple A-Z of some of the stages and new terminology you will be getting used to

https://myoesophagealcancerjourney.wordpress.com/

Please give your Dad my best wishes. He wont know much about the operation but every day after is a day towards recovery - take each one as it comes.

Ask anything - anytime ! 

Best Wishes

Pete

• Hi Pete 

Thanks for the message, and sharing the link for your blog - I will have a read of this thanks. Pleased your story is of success :-) 

My dad is having Ivor lewis surgery tomorrow, he is very up and down today - to be expected I’m sure. He doesn’t think he is going to wake up from it, but keep trying to pick him back up and be positive. 

I just can’t imagine what he is thinking & feeling and I guess that’s something I have struggled with throughout. He was initially told 10-12 hours for surgery - but all being well this has been reduced to approx. 8 hours now (I think where chemo has shrunk tumour). 

Thanks for the well wishes. 

Very Best Wishes 

• Hi Pete,

Thank you so much for your encouraging message and I'm so glad to hear about your success. The blog is such a good idea. You have brought something positive out of your situation and are helping others. 

Keep going.