Dad's operation desicion

• 34 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Please help. I'm new to this group. My dad was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus two weeks ago. He is being prepared for an operation. I'm sorry I don't know the name. Where they cut the osophagus and move the stomach up. He is in two minds whether to have it done but has a pre op on Monday. Wondered if anybody has had this done, knows the effects and survival rate, or what other options he could ask for. Sorry to be clueless. 

• Dear Hope, 

I will be thinking about your dad, your family and yourself tomorrow. All my best wishes are with you.

Sending love. 

• Thanks Angie. 

Up at 4am to get ready to leave for the hospital as got to go to another county for it, but I cannot sleep. 

Thanks for your thoughts and sending your dad and you all the best too. 

• Hi, just wanted to check in and see how you are feeling after your operation in June. Don't worry if you can't answer, but just wanted to wish you all the best. 

• Hi Hope, (sorry if that's not your name) I just wanted to see how your dad is and how you are since his operation. My dad has decided against it now, but I thought about you yesterday and just wondered how it all went. Don't worry if you can't answer. 

• Hi Angie 

Ah thank you so much for the message. The op went well thank you - he was in there about 8 hours but surgeon called after to say they had removed tumour and op was successful (they have sent tumour off to be analysed).

My dad is still in hospital at the moment but recovery is going well & he is hoping to be home at the weekend. I think he then has a few month break before final bit of chemo starts. 

Day of his surgery & first few days after were just awful - on edge just waiting for the phone to ring. But hopefully he is on the road to recovery now. 

Is it the op / recovery time etc that has made your dad decide against it? How are you doing?   X 

• Hello,

Like yourself and others here my Dad was also diagnosed. Its an awful and scary time and its great to see the support and community on this platform coming together. My Dad was diagnosed October 2019 at age 48, he had been a smoker for around 35 years. He also had 4 rounds of chemo before the op and as  has mentioned my Dad was also able to eat more and more after each chemo session, which was so encouraging to see. My Dad had his op March 2020 and since then he has put on weight and is managing fine. He suffers with dumping syndrome occasionally but overall can eat almost anything now in proportion. I agree that you shouldn't read too much into the survival rates, my dad has passed the one year mark now and has just turned 50, the only way to get through it all is to take each day as it comes. I hope he has the operation and the support here helps you both. If my Dad didn't have the op he wouldn't be with me now, he was unrecognisable pre op due to the amount of weight he lost. Now he looks so much healthier and can actually eat. I'd say it was definitely worth it.

Kind regards 

Hannah

X

• I am at the beginning of your dad's journey,. Aged 75 I started chemo yesterday.  Your story has given me a boost in so much it shows a way out of my situation. My operation should be next January subject to final stage testing. I hope I can follow your dad's success.  Good luck to you.

• Hi Buzboombang

Good luck with your journey. Here's a link to mine 

https://myoesophagealcancerjourney.wordpress.com/

I am pleased to say next month will be my 4th anniversary since my op. I have recently had a CT scan check up and in April an endoscopy so my surgeon could check his handy work - all clear !

This forum was a great source of inspiration and support for me. A genuine group of people who can share their experiences, thoughts and ask anything at anytime.

I wish you all the very best

Pete

• Zappaman

I am interested in your decision not to have chemo or radiotherapy as I will shortly have to make similar decisions. This week I have had ultrasound endoscopy and PET scan, the results to be discussed next Friday at the MED team. I have been diagnosed with gullet cancer, but these teste were to see the extent. My question to you and I will understand if you dont want to say, is "Why did you decide to go straight for resection"?

• Hi Hope, sorry I didn't reply. It's been a rollercoaster and I couldn't face coming on here for a bit. Dad's definitely decided against the op and I've said I will respect his decision. My dad's case is complicated because of other health issues he has. He hasn't been well for years now.

I would like to hear how your dad is doing after the operation now Hope. I have thought about you. Sending all my best wishes to you and him and the family.