Mum has GBM

• 13 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hello.

I am Julia, I am 22 and my mum was diagnosed with a stage 4 GBM tumour in October last year. She is 52, she had a very busy and stressful lifestyle as she was a nurse on the emergency ward  in hospital, and also taking care of my little sister who is 5 amongst lots of other things. 
I feel such unjustness and frustration and sadness that this has happened to her and to me and my whole family because she doesn’t deserve it (no one does.) 

last October when this all started I was at work, and I got a call from my older sister to say that mum has had a scan at the hospital because she’s been feeling unwell, having headaches and nausea and couldn’t write her name at work. We then found out it was a tumour and then a week later that’s it’s a stage four brain cancer. Mum always said she wanted treatment and wanted to fight, so we got her through two rounds of temolozomide. Every time she went to the hospital because first time she had her first seizure and second time also she had a seizure and delirium from a UTI. This was the most scary time for me, every day was us worrying and fighting and it was all so new and seeing her having a seizure and having to call the ambulance was the most horrible thing I’ve ever had to witness. She declined a lot from the chemo, she is now bed bound and cannot talk just grunts and sleeps most of the time, is not eating as much. Her gaze is faraway and she is not as responsive anymore to me and my sisters talking. 

It’s been a really difficult time, even though I feel like we are all processing it a bit more now. We just want to give her the best care we can and support her and make sure she is comfortable and at home with all of us. We’re a family of girls, my dad isn’t in the picture and it’s me and my three sisters. My mum has always been our inspiration because of how strong and independent she is. I can’t keep thinking how unfair it is she was dealt this card, she had a very difficult life and the last thing she deserves is being bed bound and unable to talk, it really pains me. My little sister is going to grow up without maybe remembering her well and her asking questions like why is mummy not talking is heart wrenching. Anyway I have been looking at this forum since mum got diagnosed and reading other stories has helped me see that others are also in this situation. I am so angry that there is nothing more that can be done, that treatment for brain tumours hasn’t progressed, that there wasn’t many warning signs and it was the worst case scenario right from diagnosis. I just hope we have some good time left, it was her birthday in February so we got to spend that together and now Easter. I just wish she wasn’t taken away from us all so soon, I am only in my twenties and she has so much to live for. 

thank you for reading this very jumbled mess of my thoughts and feelings, it means a lot and love to everywhere here who is going through same or similar things, I wouldn’t wish anyone to have to go through this ever.

julia xxx

• Hello Julia

very sorry to hear your sad news. My heart goes out to you and your family. I know what you’re going through because I’ve been there, with my late wife. Life can be very cruel at times, but there is no rhyme or reason to it. It’s just a case of hanging on, by your fingernails if need be and getting through it hour by hour , day by day. it may be some small comfort to know that you are not alone-thousands and thousands of others who have been there before and are going through it now. My kindest regards and sincere sympathy to you and your family. 

• Hello lexis, 

thank you so much for your kind words. And that’s it we have to get through it and others are going through the same.

it will get better, and sending lots of love to you,

Julia 

• Hello Julia

First of all a very big hug to you and your siblings. Your anger and frustration is completely valid but unfortunately life is such and we can never find out the reason. I have 2 daughters, aged 21 and 12 and they were in exactly the same state. My husband, 52 years old had GBM and he passed away on March 12th. You can read his complete story in my profile -   ,  Final days…. 

One thing I can tell you is reach out to your local GP, if you have not already and take help from hospice. Carers are true angels and they were a big blessing in times of need.  

This group is like a virtual family and we are always there to share our experiences. We have all been through this or going through this. You and your siblings are not alone. If ever you need any help or if you want to have a chat with someone of your age, I can share my daughter's contacts with you. 

Please dont forget to take care of yourself. Try to step out for a coffee or walk if possible. 

Jyo

• Hi Julia,

Welcome to the group, I'm so sorry to read about your mum but I am glad you found us. My wife had a GBM and died last month aged 49. 

I read your post yesterday on the train and it really touched me. You are quite right that all of this is very unfair and cruel. It's very difficult not to be bitter and angry that anyone (let alone someone we love so much) has to suffer this awful disease. 

I can't really offer much comfort but the thing that keeps me and my two teenage boys going is remembering how much brighter my wife made the world while she lived and trying to do the same every day. I think that's all we can do because none of us know what's coming round the corner. 

Macmillan produce some guidance on talking to children about cancer and loss if that responsibility now falls to you or another family member. Talking to children and teenagers booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support and Preparing a child for loss | Macmillan Cancer Support

Please know that you're not alone and this group has been amazing support for me and others to ask for practical help or just to express how you're feeling to people who really understand. 

Sending a virtual hug,

Chris

Community Champion Badge

• HI Julia

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about all that is  going on with your mum. Life's too cruel for words sometimes.

I supported my husband through his GBM for just over 3 years (gist of the tale is in my bio). He passed away five months ago. My kids are 26 and 24 so my heart breaks to think of you and your sisters going through this.

Chris has already covered off most of the key points I would suggest but I would strongly suggest speaking to your GP to get the community nurses and local hospice team (if there is one) on side. Even knowing that there is someone on the end of the phone 24/7 lifts a lot of the stress off. i can't sing the praises of our local nurses and hospice team high enough. They were angels. 

Please try to take care of your wee self here too. Please don't underestimate the toll this is taking on you.

Remember we're here for you all anytime. This is  a safe and supportive space as you've already seen. You're not alone. We've got you. The helpine is also only a call away too .  Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

for now though I'm sending you all a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello Jyo, 

Thank you so much for your reply. It means so much that others are reaching out. Im so sorry about what you and your two girls are going through, and you are so tough for sharing your story which I have read. I am so grateful and only if that would be okay with your daughter, maybe it would be nice to chat to someone of a similar age? 

This community is amazing and I feel so understood and supported, this bought a lot of tears to my eyes!

I give so much love to you and your two girls. thank you so much for all the useful information,

sending a massive hug and lots of love, 

Julia

• Hello Chris, 

Thank you so much for reaching out, I can't describe how heard I feel having read these responses to my post. I am super grateful for this community, and I hope you and your two boys are doing as well as you can. 

And I agree, it gives me comfort knowing how beautiful of a person my mum was, so I will try to focus on the things I can control and think of the good times we had. 

I am still processing a lot of it but I feel super supported on here and understood. 

Sending you lots of strength and a virtual hug too, 

Julia

• Hello Wee Me, 

Thank you so much for reaching out and for your kind words. I have to say that when my mum first got diagnosed and I came on here, your updated posts is what I read and it really helped me to feel understood even though I felt so sad at what we are having to go through. I really am inspired by your approach and constant updates on here and I just want to say thank you, this is the reason why I posted on here because of how much I felt understood reading some myself. 

I will definitely check out some of the macmillan support helplines, as I think talking to someone would help me feel better .

I am also sending you lots of strength and your children too, 

and of course lots of kisses and hugs xxxx

Julia

• Hi Julia

i have sent you a friend request. Once you accept, I will share my daughter’s details. She will be happy to share her experiences. I am sure it will help you. 
    Take care and loads of love

Jyo

• Hello, 

Yes I have accepted the request. Thank you so much for taking time to do this, I am very grateful. You take care as well and lots of love, 

Julia xxx