Final days….

• 13 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Final few days….

LONG POST ALERT !!!!

Hi. I am Jyo, 48 year old full time working mum, wife living with my husband and 2 girls -21 and 12.

My husband, 52 years old had a seizure in Apr 22 while walking along canal side and was rushed to hospital in ambulance. He was a healthy man, loves long walk, gardening, cycling.

He underwent various tests and was diagnosed with brain tumour. June 2022 he had his Craniotomy surgery and later after biopsy, it was confirmed that he had GBM stage 4. He was given 12-15 months with treatment. He started his radio, chemo in Aug for 6 weeks and later he was put on temozolomide. He had only 3 rounds of it and in Jan 23 it was found that the chemo wasn’t effective and he had to undergo another surgery. 2nd surgery was in Feb 23. Later they started on alternate chemo Lomustine which went on till May but that wasn’t effective either. Till now physically, mentally and emotionally he was quite strong, fine and positive. Walking, gardening continued. Doctors planned for another  round of radio (10 cycles and reduced dosage. In June 23 he had 2nd seizure before the radio started and was admitted in hospital. His anti seizure medication was increased. Radio was bought forward and as per his onco this was the last possible option. He was also put on steroid - Dex. From then I hv seen he is slowly going down. Physically he was independent till the end of Dec but he didnt want to go out for walks, difficulty in getting the right words, cognitive decline. Slept a lot 16-17 hours. By 1st week of Jan, he needed support in getting out of bed, sofa etc and needed support in going upto toilet. Many a times he was quite confused when he went for toilet and wasn’t sure what he needed to do. Hand mouth coordination was slowly going down.

Jan 3rd week he had his scan followed by doctor appointment on 22nd. We were told that the tumour has started growing and nothing much can be done. Hospital handed over to hospice.

Hospital bed was given to help him and OT gave few additional equipments to help with his mobility and commode chair. But because his cognitive ability was declining he refused to use the commode chair and walking rail. He just didn’t understand. In the process he had couple of falls walking upto toilet. His weight had drastically increased because of Dex. 1st week of Feb, we started using incontinence pants to avoid the fall. Initial week he was fighting to get up. Sleep schedule increased to 20 hrs and waking time was only when we gave him food or in the evening around 5:30-8pm. Talking reduced to a great extent and was limited to some gibberish or bye,ok etc. Last week of Feb - sleep was 20+ hrs with no reaction and he used to blankly stare during his awake period.

Friday March 8th - He didn’t open his eyes at all during breakfast and lunch. We had to nudge him and force feed the food. 7pm he did a big vomit. District nurse came and gave him anti sickness, anti seizure and low dose of morphine. On call doctor came later in the night and checked his vitals. Everything was normal but they asked us to stop all oral feeds and medications as there was a choking hazard. District nurse came on 9th morning, gave similar medication by injection and decided to put syringe driver. She was supposed to come back in an hr or so but she discussed with hospice and decided to move him there. He has been in hospice since Saturday afternoon.

He has not opened his eyes since Friday morning or rather Thursday night. Few observations:

• He has started snoring constantly
  • There is often a pause between his snores. Looks like he stops breathing and then restarts.
  • His right hand has pretty much stopped moving (tumour on the left side). Right side used to reach out to his head but that’s also stopped.
  • There is quite a bit of gurgling sound.

Anyone gone thru something like this ?? As per the hospice doctors days to a week is the prognosis.

• Hi Jyo. I am so sorry to hear about your husband and his deterioration.  My husband passed away last May 17 months after diagnosis. He had surgery,  radiotherapy and temozolimide. After his tumour returned he refused further treatment.

The support from our local hospice was amazing and it sounds that you are in good hands.  All the observations you have noted are part of the final few days and the hospice will support you through this time. Now is the time to be his partner,  you don't have to be his carer now, spend time by his side and talk to him.

Thinking of you.

• Oh Jyo, this is all so horribly familiar. My wife was in similar state in early-mid February and passed away on Satuday the 17th. On the Wednesday she went on the syringe driver with morphine, midazolam and levomepromazine. That evening was the last time she opened her eyes or said anything. She was at home and her breathing changed on the Friday night to become quite sporadic. Over the next few hours it just got slowly more and more sporadic with occasional big breaths in and then she just didn't take another breath.

I kept talking to Jilly right until the end mainly telling her what our boys were up to and how much we loved her.

My heart goes out to you and the kids. At least he's in a place they can care for him well and he shouldn't suffer though I know it's awful to watch

Sending a very heartfelt virtual hug,

Chris

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Jyo

oh my heart breaks for you. This all sounds oh so familiar.

As the others have said, let the nurses do the caring now. Hospice nurses are angels in disguise.

G spent his last five days in our local hospice and a lot of what you describe matches the final days of our journey.

The key thing here is to keep him comfortable. Don't hesitate to press the call button if you feel the medication needs topped up or he needs a little TLC. 

This last part of the journey is beyond hard to watch but know in your heart that you have done all you could to offer support and that he's now getting the best care.

Sending you love and light and strength to get through the next few days. It probably all feels surreal and horrendous at the same time right now but you will get through this. We're here for you. You're not alone.

love n hugs

Wee Me xxx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jyo 

It definitely sounds very familiar to my dad’s final few days. He would take 3 big breaths and then pause for what felt like forever… that went on for about 48/72 hours (I don’t 100% remember). His breathing became more strained in the last few hours, and then he simply didn’t take another breath. It was very peaceful for the last few days… 

He is in the best place… and we all are right here behind you. 

xxx

• Oh Jyo - I can’t offer any words of wisdom as we are still in treatment stage. I can only send you love and strength for what sounds like a very difficult time. My heart goes out to you Heart️  I am so sorry this is so cruel and hard. Lots of love x 

• Jyo - I’ve been thinking of you all day. Just checking in and sending you a cwtch HeartHeartHeart

• His breath became shallower and shallower through the night. At 10:03am this morning he finally took a big final breath whilst surrounded by his family and friends. 
    Hugs to all of you. Thank you to this forum. 

• Oh Jyo, so sorry for your loss. At least he's at peace now and no longer suffering. Try to draw some comfort from that.

Sending love and light to you and your family. Please be gentle with yourself over the coming days, weeks and know we are still here for you. It's time now to heal and that is messy and takes time

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Oh Jyo I am so sorry. He was surrounded by people who loved him. As WeeMe says take plenty of time and look after yourself. Accept offers of help and take it day by day.

Sulubee 

• Oh Jyo, I’m so sorry and sending you love and strength.  I can only imagine your pain and for your family too. Take care and you really are in my thoughts x