Mum has GBM

• 13 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hello.

I am Julia, I am 22 and my mum was diagnosed with a stage 4 GBM tumour in October last year. She is 52, she had a very busy and stressful lifestyle as she was a nurse on the emergency ward  in hospital, and also taking care of my little sister who is 5 amongst lots of other things. 
I feel such unjustness and frustration and sadness that this has happened to her and to me and my whole family because she doesn’t deserve it (no one does.) 

last October when this all started I was at work, and I got a call from my older sister to say that mum has had a scan at the hospital because she’s been feeling unwell, having headaches and nausea and couldn’t write her name at work. We then found out it was a tumour and then a week later that’s it’s a stage four brain cancer. Mum always said she wanted treatment and wanted to fight, so we got her through two rounds of temolozomide. Every time she went to the hospital because first time she had her first seizure and second time also she had a seizure and delirium from a UTI. This was the most scary time for me, every day was us worrying and fighting and it was all so new and seeing her having a seizure and having to call the ambulance was the most horrible thing I’ve ever had to witness. She declined a lot from the chemo, she is now bed bound and cannot talk just grunts and sleeps most of the time, is not eating as much. Her gaze is faraway and she is not as responsive anymore to me and my sisters talking. 

It’s been a really difficult time, even though I feel like we are all processing it a bit more now. We just want to give her the best care we can and support her and make sure she is comfortable and at home with all of us. We’re a family of girls, my dad isn’t in the picture and it’s me and my three sisters. My mum has always been our inspiration because of how strong and independent she is. I can’t keep thinking how unfair it is she was dealt this card, she had a very difficult life and the last thing she deserves is being bed bound and unable to talk, it really pains me. My little sister is going to grow up without maybe remembering her well and her asking questions like why is mummy not talking is heart wrenching. Anyway I have been looking at this forum since mum got diagnosed and reading other stories has helped me see that others are also in this situation. I am so angry that there is nothing more that can be done, that treatment for brain tumours hasn’t progressed, that there wasn’t many warning signs and it was the worst case scenario right from diagnosis. I just hope we have some good time left, it was her birthday in February so we got to spend that together and now Easter. I just wish she wasn’t taken away from us all so soon, I am only in my twenties and she has so much to live for. 

thank you for reading this very jumbled mess of my thoughts and feelings, it means a lot and love to everywhere here who is going through same or similar things, I wouldn’t wish anyone to have to go through this ever.

julia xxx

1. Hi Julia, my name is Christina and your story resonates so much with me. It truly is the worst feeling knowing our beautiful strong mothers who are real inspirations have been dealt this hand. I’m so sorry that you have the added burden of worrying about your young sister, what an exhausting time for you girls. I’ve just turned 26 and my mother is 57. She was diagnosed in April 2022 with a GMB4 also very suddenly. I got a call while I was working to say my mum was having a stroke while she was at her work, I rushed to her so quickly I got there before the ambulance by about 30 minutes. On the way to the hospital - she had her first ever seizure in front of me and it was horrific and scary to watch as you know. At the hospital she had a CT, then an MRI which suggested it to be a tumour, craniotomy revealed it to be GBM4. My gorgeous mum was the exact same, busy lifestyle always stressed but once receiving her diagnosis decided to fight it as much as possible with radiation, chemo & 2 craniotomies - despite knowing the prognosis - hoping for a miracle. I gave up work in March 2023 partially due to stress but mostly to spend more time with her and to care for her as I’m the only person who has stepped up to the responsibility. She has 5 brothers and a son yet almost all the men in our lives have let us down - she has always been there for them. My brother (over 10yrs older than me) gets too emotional to visit her and so my only support is my lovely wife and the services offered by McMillan, GP etc. She moved in with me in January 2024 as it became impossible to keep caring for her at the house she shared with her partner as he has to work full time due to mortgage commitments and her care needs increased massively. When she came to live with me she was just out of hospital, almost bed bound except to use the toilet with our help. After getting her meds sorted and spoiling her with food, rest, pampering and a run of good health luck - she is having a good few weeks so far and managed to stay over at her partners for one night giving myself and my wife a very well needed night off together - which makes me want to ask, are you looking after yourself? I know it’s so hard as a young woman starting to navigate life - still being so young and having your world rocked so much. There’s no good age to be going through something like this - but this really is such a cruel age to be losing our mothers. My wife has a heart of gold and married me quickly so my mother could see me married before she passes yet I still find myself thinking of all the things in the future that she will miss, not just of my life but of her own as well. Our mothers also are so young, they should be retiring, adoring grandchildren, enjoying holidays. 
  • Hi Julia,

my mum has just been diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme and I am 28. I am one of six kids and my youngest brother is 16. We are all 30-16. 

Mum starts radiotherapy tomorrow.

im around if you’d like to chat, no one our age it feels naturally understands how it is to go through this… so I am here if you’d like to chat 

xxx 

sending all the love and prayers for you and your mum and your family 

i pray for a miracle for all of us  

• Hello Julia,

First of all a big hug to you and your sisters. I lost my Mom to GBM almost 3 years back in June 2021. It was heartbreaking to see a person so bright and kind go from this self independent person to someone who even forgot who I was in her last days.

My mom was bed bound but thankfully I had a full time care giver at home and between us, we tried to manage the situation as well as possible. My main focus was to help her go peacefully (Doctor had given her 3 months but she was there for some more time ) and hence I used to talk to her continuously even though the words did not make any sense to her. She was like a bedridden kid and I spent the last few months treating her like one. 

One thing I would suggest is that keep on talking about this, whether with your sisters or friends and this group which is always there. This phase is very overwhelming and it helps to talk about this and keep calm. Life can be very unfair and there are situations like these which tell us that we cannot really control the way life happens. What we can do is deal with it in a calm way. Try to talk to your Mom, even if she sometimes doesn't understand. Talk about the shared memories, about how much you love her. Believe me, it helps. Let her listen to you even is she is not able to respond. I do hope you get a chance to celebrate her birthday. Just make her feel very loved, Julia. 

Please let me know if at anytime you want to talk about this.

Lots and lots of love and strength to you and your family. 

Addy