Just about to start chemo

• 14 replies
  • 265 subscribers

I'm just about to start adjuvant chemo next week on a 12 x weekly Paclitaxol followed by 4 x 2 weekly EC for breast cancer.  I know everyone is different but I am wondering what to expect.  there is a lot of information on the drugs the other way round EC followed by PAX but nothing on my regimes. 
Has anyone else done Paclitaxol followed by EC?
thanks

• I was on Paclitaxel and carboplatin (and Pembro) for 12 x weekly then EC 4 x 3 weekly. The Paclitaxel didn’t make me sick or ill. I did get a terrible rash on my hands but the hospital gave me cream for it. The EC made me really tired for about 3/4 days after it but that could have been down to coming towards the end of treatment. I finished chemo at the end of June. Good luck x

• I am on neoadjuvant Paclitaxel and carboplatin (and Pembro) for 12 x weekly then EC 4 x 3 weekly and started 1st May.  The Paclitaxel didn’t make me sick or ill, the same as Whatnext. I had no real side effects at all except for hair thinning though I did cold cap. Im really tired after the EC for around 4/5 days after it but that’s also probably an accumulation of all the previous treatments…..I have my last EC on 25th September before surgery and radiotherapy. Everyone takes to the drug regimes differently but if you do struggle then your nurses have lots up their sleeves to help with dude effects so let them know. Good luck!

• That's great to hear. Thanks for sharing, so lovely to hear something more positive. Hope you are now feeling stronger. X

• I will, thank you.  I know everyone is different and the oncologist said that as it is adjuvant and I'm fit and healthy (her words) then I am likely to stand the treatment better, but generally you don't hear the good stories.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever comes next. Will you be having surgery soon?  Xx 

• Sorry I should have mentioned hair loss. I didn’t cold cap. I’m now 10 weeks post chemo and have enough that I ditched my wig and hats a while ago. I had surgery just over 4 weeks ago (lumpectomy) and that was fine too. Waiting for my planning appointment now for radiotherapy. I honestly feel like since being diagnosed in December last year and getting to this point it has flown. It not been easy at times but thankfully it’s gone quickly x

• It may not work and I may hate it but we'll see. 

It can't have been easy.  There must have been ups and downs and it's good you are through it now.  I suppose it a countdown.

Tiredness is mentally exhausting too. But the whole thing is mentally tiring. And there's so much to do. I'm thinking it'll settle down and into a routine...

• Hey, 

I am currently going through the same regime now. 

I opted for cold cap and up to now it has worked. My hair has thinned and continues to thin, but I do still have some hair. The first 5-10 mins isn’t great but after that, I don’t seem to feel much. 

I have pac and carbo. I did have pembro the immunotherapy but had a reaction to this so it got stopped. 
    To be honest, I have been mostly okay off the pac and carbo it has been other factors which have made me unwell. 

For example, I am currently low in potassium and magnesium (I have got supplements) so muscles are aching. 

When do you start? 
    I will have completed 12 weeks after my last infusion this week coming and then start EC. 

Remember though, everyone is different Hugging xx

• I know, I guess I was reaching out for some more positive stories as the stories from people I know who have been through chemo (although different regimes) are just awful.
    The medical teams are very positive and I know that for me the unknown is worse than the reality of the first one - although maybe not on number 12 Scream.

Thank you for sharing. I am glad it has been more tolerable and I hope the EC is as tolerable. WHen do you start that? How many cycles and what frequency? I start on Thursday and should be having it weekly for 12 weeks, as long as bloods are heathy enough! 

• Hi  

I like the others am on 12 weekly Paclitaxel and I also have carbopalin and immune therapy ( 3 weekly) my pll look plan is then to move onto EC. 

I am moving into my 7th week, I had extreme fatigue after the first infusion but since I am still tired but it’s manageable. I have also suffered with aching. 

Good luck and what I would say is really listen to your body and rest when you need to. 

Also tap into support if you need it, take care x

• That is so helpful, thank you.vHope all continues to go well with the rest of your treatment.