Private Treatment

• 12 replies
  • 250 subscribers

Hi there, I was diagnosed with Grade 2 Invasive Lobular Cancer in February and had surgery to remove the tumour a few weeks ago. However results showed the cancer was still there so I had a second surgery last Friday. Like all of you my situation has been a roller coaster and everything happened so quickly!! I feel pretty silly as only last week realised that I do have medical insurance through my employer, so could have had private treatment. I  not sure going private would have made a difference or changed anything but I am now wondering if I should switch to private for any future treatments. I am now in the waiting game again so won't know the results of recent surgery for a couple of weeks but wondering will going private be any different. Has anyone here been treated privately and/or know if it makes any difference. I am so grateful for this forum as coming on here now and then helps me know I am not on my own so thank you 

• Hi MG07, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I went private as soon as I was diagnosed. If you click on my name you can read my profile which includes my timeline of when I had all my different appointments. I have to say, everything seemed to happen very quickly. I dont know if it works out quicker it seems to be a postcode lottery but I was pleased with how quickly tuu go ones went for me. There are some people who seem to wait ages for treatment and results. 
    Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• I too have full private cover for cancer but chose to stick to NHS.  On diagnosis I asked the surgeon if I should go private and was  advised not  to because I wouldn’t get such good aftercare as I would with NHS.  I have to say that I felt my timeline was satisfactory and had very good care.  May be my postcode is a lucky one. Listening to others who are having long delays, I feel their anxiety, its not right on top of having been given a cancer diagnosis. 

• I initially went through NHS but then changed to private for the surgery. My hospital does both NHS and private. The surgeon also does both and was advised by the breast care nurse that you get better support privately and less delays. 

• I‘m private medical .

Diagnosed on NHS . Same surgeon . He said you get same treatment , just a bit quicker and a nice room in hospital .

My surgery was 22nd March , lumpectomy , no overnight . Results 10 days later . He had said 2 weeks average.

On NHS , I would only just have had my op .

I’m having radio and was told that they rent the machine to NHS when they’re not using it , so you get priority and choice of appointments.

i’ve also just been cleared to have oncoDX , the NHS rules are that I don’t qualify as I was classed as low risk . That’s holding my radiotherapy up, was due to start 13th May .

i also have physio appointments to check my arm mobility , post op , pre radio and post radio .

One negative is I don’t have a breast care nurse , although as I was diagnosed on NHS, I do have her number. Mine was a small hospital , the bigger private ones may have them . 

. But I’ve never had to chase anything , so I don’t need her . 

I’ve been told that once my treatment is over , I can go back to NHS  for longer term follow up . 

You could email your nurse and ask how you’d switch ? 

• Hi Cuffcake

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I read your timelines and am so sorry that you have had such a tough time. I think I will call my Nurse and ask what she thinks. I do seem to have had quick treatment and I am told my breast clinic is one of the best. In some ways it would be better if I didn't now have the option as it is just another thing I'm now stressing about!  

Have a good day..hugs back at ya xx 

• Hi Mibby

Thank you I am thinking the same. I'll give my nurse a call. Thanks again for replying xx

• Hello and thanks for replying. I'll call my nurse today x

• Hello there

Thanks for your message. I will definitely call my Nurse. I wasn't even aware of the test you mentioned or even what it was! 

Have a good day x

• Hi. Sorry to hear your diagnosis. I too had PMI but consultant recommended staying with NHS which I’m so glad I did. No delays and great treatment. Just check your policy T&Cs as my policy would only cover me privately if the nhs failed to treat me with x days of that treatment being a recommended course of action. Also my policy paid me a cash benefit for being treated by nhs. 

• Hi there.

Thanks for your message. I called my Nurse today and she suggests I make a decision when I get my results at my next appointment. Unfortunately that isn't until the 9th May so a bit of a longer wait than last time!