Private Treatment

• 12 replies
  • 255 subscribers

Hi there, I was diagnosed with Grade 2 Invasive Lobular Cancer in February and had surgery to remove the tumour a few weeks ago. However results showed the cancer was still there so I had a second surgery last Friday. Like all of you my situation has been a roller coaster and everything happened so quickly!! I feel pretty silly as only last week realised that I do have medical insurance through my employer, so could have had private treatment. I  not sure going private would have made a difference or changed anything but I am now wondering if I should switch to private for any future treatments. I am now in the waiting game again so won't know the results of recent surgery for a couple of weeks but wondering will going private be any different. Has anyone here been treated privately and/or know if it makes any difference. I am so grateful for this forum as coming on here now and then helps me know I am not on my own so thank you 

• I haven’t had private cancer treatment but I did have a hip replacement done privately. Private gets you a nicer setting, possibly fewer delays, and works very well for something quite straightforward. I know someone who had chemo privately, and found it a really good experience. However private isn’t well set up for complexity or for emergencies. I have had emergency admissions. I have had multiple different procedures and have had different things investigated by different departments, all within the one NHS hospital and under the leadership of my oncology consultant. It’s been fairly close to seamless and I always feel like I am a priority. 

• Thanks for this, really appreciate you sharing your experience. I am now having to wait for my surgery results and it will be 3 weeks(previously only waited two) so am now wondering if being private would mean quicker results! This is my second surgery so I was really hoping I would know the outcome within the same two week period as last time. I guess I'll just haveto hope no news is good news Pray