Chemo

• 17 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Morning, so I had my first EC chemo treatment on Friday 5th Jan.cold cap was a bit of a shocker! Only for about 15 minutes after that I got used to it. Anyone trying the cold cap I would recommend taking a fabric headband with you to protect your forehead.

The day of chemo wasn’t pleasant I’m not going to lie, I was being sick, slept most of the afternoon and then evening. After the initial day the sickness wore off with the help of anti sickness tablets. Each day since seems to have got better (I’m on day 4 after the first treatment).

I know everyone is different, it kinda threw me a little I wasn’t expecting it to hit me on the day and it to be my worst day,  I was expecting to feel it more in the coming days. I’m grateful that the worst day of this cycle is over. 
How’s everyone else’s experience been, does it vary with each cycle? 

would love to hear other people’s experiences/views 

• Hi Dizzy

i’ve had three out my four cycles of chemo and haven’t been feeling too bad. The worst Ifelt was after my first lot of chemo but since than apart from fatigue and a little bit of sickness I haven’t been feeling too bad. I take my anti-sickness and that sorts it.

Wishing you the best of luck with the rest of your treatment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Aw that’s great to hear and thank you for replying,  hope I’m the same way too. Good luck with the rest of your treatment too 

• Hi Dizzy 1, I had my first session of phesgo (trastuzumab and trastuzumab) injection and docetaxel IV yesterday afternoon, I've had a facial rash/flush since getting home and overnight, still there at 5.30am when I woke up. I didn't go for the cold cap as I have fibromyalgia and cold is painful for me unfortunately.

I've found myself fatigued, but nothing new there, and woke up a tad nauseous but I took the antisickness tablets they gave me yesterday to bring home. 

I'm keeping a diary of how I'm feeling symptom wise and any medication I take so I can see how I go.

I hope your symptoms ease soon for you quickly and it gets easier fast x

• Hi Rainestorm,

thank you for replying. I hope the facial rash/flush eases soon. That’s totally understandable about not having the cold cap with having fibromyalgia you don’t want to make things worse.

For the last 2 days I have had an intense headache, spent most of yesterday in bed. This morning it has lifted thank goodness. I dont think I want to continue with the cold cap if it makes me feel like that I don’t think it’s worth it for me. The tiredness I can deal with but that headache was something else. 

Other than that I feel good x

• Aw thank you, and yes do what's best for you and rest up Blush take it easy xx

• Hi Dizzy

I am 2 EC treatments in - second was last Thursday.  Six in total needed.  

I bounced through the first cycle before Christmas (this is easy!) apart from a bit of heartburn.  This 2nd cycle has totally floored me from last Sunday  - I felt like I'd been run over by a truck!  I was so tired but, however long I slept and rested, I didn't feel any better.  I had a little nausea and very itchy skin for about 2 hours but then nothing.  

I've cold capped which is extremely unpleasant but I'm hoping will give me the best chance of my hair growing back quickly.  I have fine hair and have lost probably 60% but am hanging in there for now.  

A week in and I'm beginning to feel a bit better.  Just take every day as it comes.  I work in a primary school so I'm off for a few months so I'm lucky and I have a good support network.  

There's no right and wrong in this crazy business.  

Take care.  

• Hi JPP60,

wow sounds like the 2nd cycle has hit you hard! Sending you lots of hugs, hope the rest of your treatment is kinder to you. Thank you for sharing your experience as well, taking each day as it comes is exactly how I’m approaching it too. I’m going to enjoy the good days and rest through the bad xx 

• so interesting to see the different reactions, have 3rd ec next weds with cold cap, take a paracetamol before treatment, deffo helps.  hair loss seems mild, with bald patch over my left ear, but can be covered, had a wig fitting at raoul, in paddington, absolutely gorgeous, perfect match, if and when i will need it, deffo look into this ladies as it was all free, so painless and made me feel a million dollars. quite emotional to see a bit of the old me!, husband loved it. 

Just a question, nurses told us to be very selective where we went and who we saw, masked up, especially after xmas and new year, as right after chemo on 27th, any one else limiting where they go and who they see, have so many friends that had covid over christmas, dont want an infection or worse effecting future chemo. But going little stir crazy at the moment. Also chemo will change to docetaxel early february, any reactions to the change?

all the best everyone x and thank you for any input

• Hiya w1cky,

I'm on docetaxel, first dose yesterday but thankfully the facial rash has gone, small reaction with no other issues, I had paracetamol before starring any of my treatment too, no cold cap, I hope you are doing well, it is nice to see how people are doing and different experiences xx