After effects of radiotherapy

• 49 replies
  • 256 subscribers

Looking for feedback on how long after effects can last. My last RT was 27th April and my breast is still tender, hot, and nipple is super sensitive.  I'm also 4 months into Tamoxifen and suffering night and day sweats, causing broken sleep.  I have an appointment with oncology soon to check all is as it should be. 

• Have you tried a bit of aloe - some swear by using the gel from the actual plant to help with healing. The itch is the worst but you may find it just soothes you and carries you through the next couple of weeks. Or a steroid cream can be good, applied sparingly of course xx

• I haven’t just using that flamigel. But I will buy some today is there any special kind or just aloe Vera gel from chemist 

it’s so sensitive to touch I’m applying cream 3-4 times a day x 

• Thank you but the video will not play x

• If you go on YouTube and search breast massage after radiotherapy you'll find quite a few options. 

• Ok thank you, how are you doing x

• I've been very up and down . Trying decaffeinated teas and coffee to help with the sweats, trying not to let the anxiety take over, getting some counselling for that and got a face to face appointment with oncology next week to see about hot boob! 

You think once you've had treatment you could get back to normal routine but it's a long and winding road. 

Hope the breast massage helps.

• You could just buy an aloe plant and break the leaves and apply gel directly - no chemicals, just the plant. I am so sorry that it is so sore for you. The steroid cream can be bought from any pharmacy. Aloe gel - I don't know any brands but am sure the pharmacist could advise if you prefer a made up preparation. Am sorry to be so hopeless on the specifics! x

• Thank you so much for this info. 
    my boob is so itchy and hot. I’m trying so hard to itch it gently. 
    im off out to find some better gel. 
    they said 2 weeks when it normally peaks. Omg I need the special cream before then. I’m onto day 5 after  5 days of radium

x

• Really hope you find something. I am starting to itch in sympathy with you xxx

• I remember the radiation oncologist told me that for 3 weeks after the radiation finished the symptoms can worsen.  Have you tried hydrocortisone for the itching?  I used pro cure hydrocortisone with calendula when I had itching and worked great.  My nipples were sore too during radiation but not as bad as yours sound.  Good luck with getting relief.

Barbara