What a crap day!

• 10 replies
  • 253 subscribers

Seemed simple, get magseed in grade 1 lump of low PI, 9mm, no prior lumph nodes seen on US ( 4 weeks ago)prior to lumpectomy booked in a few days.

My how things change! Radiographer put the mag seed in a diiferent place than my prior clip had been, evident on mammogram after. Reason being that I have another lump, so back to take biopsies from that one, and then put another magseed in the original one. Meanwhile rush path results so Dr's know by MDT - day before op- if op is still on or other plan. Also seemed to be possible concern over a lymph node.

1. I'm praying that they will still go ahead and take both lumps out as planned, because a mastectomy is a big fear for me. I am average size 12 build and keep myself fit, but I do have disproportionatley large breasts, I don't see how a balance could be got from a mastectomy unless both come off - which I also don't want, could be better than 1 or lopsided, ahgg!,but no nipples, so whats the point of them without nipples?
  2. Its a lot to process, just shows how quick things can change, feels like a path of disappointment.
  • Oh it is always something for sure.  Hope all goes well.  If you did need mastectomy and hopefully you don’t they possibly could do a nipple sparing mastectomy.  I am small breasted 34A and had bilateral lumpectomies and then radiation to both and now on anastrazole.  On one breast I had DCIS and a small area that they didn’t know what it was but removed it and it was not cancer.  My breasts match pretty nicely so happy as with small breasts the choices are limited.  Either lumpectomy or mastectomy and nothing else.  
    Breast cancer is one hiccup after another but now that I am done with everything except anastrazole so happy and feeling really good even with some sore muscles and hot flashes!!

Take care of yourself and you will make it.

Barbara 

• You're a size 12 so slim, if it comes to a mastectomy you will be given reconstruction so don't worry too much. Good luck x

• I'm a 36 E though. Weirdly the lumps are at least 20cm north of my pendulous boobs, more near chest area. I'm hopeful it won't come to that.

• Thanks for the support Barbara, stressful times. Being 36 E and having lumps well north of nipple, I'm hoping they will still do the lumpectomy this week even with 2 needed. Otherwise, its another delay to starting treatment while this grows.

• I had a mastectomy over a week ago without reconstruction. I know how you feel about being lopsided. It isn’t pleasant but there’s things they can do to make it look better eg soft prosthesis so hard to tell when you’re dressed. Reconstruction is also possible either at the same time or after if needed. I was terrified and emotional before the surgery but once it was done i felt better although there’s more the physical effects rather than emotional. Good luck 

• I get how someone can look great again from the outside. For me, still being single is a consideration - it would be better if I had a partner already to go through this with. Needless to say, non of that really matters now, my mind is focused on other things, which is probably a good thing tbf. It does lurk in the background as a future  consideration though. Also, wonder how it would affect running being lopsided. Was getting back into running, then got diagnosed and have kept up with it so far. It helps my wellbeing. I'm glad you are feeling better, you sound like you have the strength to do well. I wish you a speedy recovery- probably quicker than reconstruction, there is benefit to that. Yesterday was a low day, feeling more positive today x

• Yes I can understand. It’s very traumatic for your body image and sense of self. I’m luckily I have my husband who said he’d rather have me as I am then be without me. Reconstruction is definitely an option which I may end up doing after my treatment is over but it all depends on how I feel. The only reason I couldn’t do it immediately is I’m pregnant. 

• They should be able to do oncoplastic technique which is where they move the tissue around to make your breast look good and match the other one.  It is easier to do that with larger breasts as more tissue.  I understand about the waiting and wondering.  It takes its toll but try and relax some and even watch a funny movie.  If you haven’t seen Being There with Peter Sellers give it a watch as so funny.  Loved it.

Hugs to you.

Barbara 

• Thought I'd update, turns out the other lump that the magseed was mistakenly put into was benign - 5 biopsies she took! Lots of pain for nothing. Turns out the Dr has left now, I was going to put in a complaint about her as she had no empathy, poor social skills and felt traumatised at her hands. Totally weird/surreal and torturous experience. She also happened to be transgender, an odd profession to enter under the circumstances. Hope she is never unleashed on humanity in that capacity again.

• Had my lumpectomy as planned on 3rd May, unfortunately had to see the same Dr for ultrasound to pen mark the skin prior to surgery. Immediate anxiety as soon as I saw it was her again, I would of walked out of the room had it not been for the presence of a lovely radiography assistant that I'd met at my first mammogram 4 weeks prior - who agreed she was a sadist with no bedside manner and told me this was her last day working for the Trust. Just about managed to convince myself that she could cause limited damage and harm with a pen, though she tried by digging in the US probe in really hard at the end. Just as well the tumour doesn't hurt much, weird grin on her face at the time. Almost as if it was personal, I wonder if her botch job on me was the straw that broke the camels back and they got rid of her after many complaints. 
    • Everyone else was a breath of fresh air and lovely in comparison. It was strange to be on the other side though, as I work in the hospital so knew a fair few people milling about, though I think they actively chose people I didn't know to be directly involved.
  • I’m so sorry.  It sounds like you’ve had a really awful experience and a lot of unnecessary pain.  I hope it will go better from here.  Good luck.