Letrozole

• 10 replies
  • 250 subscribers

Hello! I am due to be starting on Letrozole in the next couple of weeks. Can anyone advise on side effects? Nervous about starting as I am getting married in June and don’t want to feel unwell! Thank you xx

• Hi Derbyshire lass welcome to the forum and what lovely news and something for you  to hugely look forward to, a lovely wedding day. Every one is different with Letrozole but the most common feature of them seems to be boney pain as the oestrogen is being reduced by them.  There are different brands and again this can have an impact so its a bit trial and error unfortunately to start with to get a brand that suits you best if that makes sense.  Enjoy the best day of your life and have so much fun as well.  

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi I've been on Letrozole now for about 8 weeks and was really nervous as the side effects listed sounded horrid but personally I've not suffered with most of these as yet. The only thing I get are hot flushes, usually a couple of hours after taking them but these are pretty mild compared to some peoples. I have switched from taking them in the morning to the evening so I don't often get these during the day. 

The nurse I spoke to prior to starting taking them said everyone's experiences are different and not everyone suffers side effects but the manufacturer has to list them if they are reported. I have read on here that a number of people have suffered with joint pains which are listed as a more common side effect, but again so far I have not suffered with these. 

Hope this helps x

• Thank you so much x

• Hi, I've been on Letrozole for 3 months and haven't had any problems. I've had mild hot flushes but these are very brief and insignificant compared to the menopause which were horrendous! I started Letrozole 6 weeks before my surgery and it shrunk the tumour from 32mm to 21mm! Considering this, I am very trusting that the drug will do a good job of preventing recurrence in the future. I had my first of 6 Chemo sessions today so have been told to stop Letrozole while I'm having the treatment but will be keen to resume it afterwards. 

Many congratulations on your upcoming wedding, wishing you both a fabulous occasion and many happy years together Heart️ 

• Hi, I’m about 7 weeks in to taking letrozole and so far so good. Very small amounts of joint pain, but nothing worth taking a paracetamol for.  The radiotherapy team told me it takes about 3 months for side effects tro stabilise so if you do get any funny symptoms they advised to hang on in there.

wishing you all the best for your wedding day xx

• Good luck with your chemo. And amazing that the letrozole shrunk your tumour so much. Sending lots of healing hugs Heart️‍ xx

• Hi, I’ve been taking letrozole for 3 months for secondary breast cancer. I had bad hot flushes from the outset, though I began Zoladex injections at the same time so mega shock to my body. I’m getting severe joint pain in my fingers and wrists now. I’ve dropped the dose down to every other day for a bit. 
    if you’re taking letrozole to prevent recurrence you could see how it goes and take a break if you need to for your wedding (congratulations!) and then try again. It’s not going to make much difference.

Best wishes 

The conundrum, quality of life versus time alive…Sunflower

• I had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal in December, cancer was found in one node, I had radiotherapy and am now on letrozole for five years or maybe longer. At first I felt very fatigued and quite depressed but one month down the line I am feeling much better although quite tired but no other side effects. I hope you feel well for your wedding I am doing fine so good luck, I hope this helps, x     p.s.i do take 3000 gr of Evacal D3 each day to strengthen bones. Brighton

• Hi, I've been on letrozole for over 2 years.  As long as I do some activity, basically walking, the bone pain is fine, but I have noticed I have some minor pain if I'm not active.  I also have hot flushes, no idea if this is the meds or menopause!  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge