Newly diagnosed, but scared....

• 11 replies
  • 449 subscribers

Hey peeps, 

I found a meatball size lump in my boob so I went docs. Then liverpool hospital biopsies etc mamogram found more lumps and i was told on friday they are cancerous! I have Breast cancer. As you can imagine, my head went spinning from the one i found to all 3 being cancerous oh and dodgey armpit nodes too. They want me to go back 10th of may of another biopsy to check the calcification i have in there too, this will determine if they can save my boob or not!?! They didn't really say much more, like type or anything, but wont this 3 week wait give the cancer time to grow spread etc i guess im just shit scared and still in shock. I suffer from Crohns disease too so feel like the unluckiest person alive right now... oh and i live in Southport Merseyside. Much love xx

• Hi AprilBoob,

I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer five weeks ago. Last Monday I had a lumpectomy and they removed two lymph nodes, although they said my lymph nodes were fine, they always remove a few, it is procedure.

You did absolutely the right thing in reaching out to Macmillan, there is so much help and info on here. I know this is a scary time, but take a bit of time to digest and let it sink in. Also concentrate on any positives and dump the negativity, that’s important, as is having a good support structure and positive people around you. I live on my own and am very independent, but I found you cannot do this on your own. I also write a daily diary and this is a great help, as it’s a way of getting everything off your chest.

I also live in Southport, so if you need someone to talk to or want to meet for a coffee, then let me know, having someone to let steam off with in these circumstances is good. Macmillan also have a meet up every Tuesday outside the Atkinson, we’re we go for a walk and have a coffee and chat. Please also go the the Macmillan centre in Wright Street, they are open 10-4 Mon-Fri and you can turn up anytime for tea, coffee and talk.

let me know how things progress and take good care.xx

• Oh wow, yes i agree you cannot do this alone. I have a partner and 3 beautiful kids, i think thats why im so scared. I havent really cried yet just little blips in the day when i remember i have bc, haha then the tears stream. I work on a monday tues fri and sun. But if you fancied a coffee id more than happy meet you, i cant guarantee i wont blubber haha x

• Hi AprilBoob,

It's never easy to find yourself in a situation like this! I was terrified and kind of numb at the same time for days! Cancer cannot spread that fast so don't worry about that (easier said than done!)! Try to stay calm and positive and don't google too much since a lot of the breast cancer information out there is outdated and it's not a surprise people are so scared! Cancer treatment nowadays is incredibly advanced and oncologists aim at not only treating but curing even more advanced breast cancer forms/stages. Waiting for the results is the most difficult part of this journey none of us was prepared for so stay strong, things will definitely get better! I wish you the very best of luck with your treatment! Big virtual hug,

Lana xx

• I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer 4 weeks ago and mine unfortunately spread to lymph nodes. It’s absolutely the most scariest time. I was concerned as well about the waiting for scans and more biopsies if it would grow but they said a few weeks won’t make a difference. It helps them to know before they know what treatment. As soon as they get the results they’ll be quick in starting treatment. I know it’s so hard but try to keep positive that whatever they’ll say they’ll be able to treat it which is tough going but the waiting for it to start is the worse xx

• Wow so your 4 weeks ahead of me, how the hell are you soo positive. How are you getting on what have they said your treatment will be etc... its not even been 48hours for me and they didnt say a stage or which type etc just i need another biopsy and my crohns has flared up with the stress, i feel like crap! Xx

• Mine told me the stage as has biopsies done on my first appointment. Couldn’t confirm the stage until I had an MRI but said it was at least stage 3. They confirmed the first part of the treatment last week after they had the results from a second biopsy. I have to stay positive as have a 2 year old and also pregnant with second baby. They both need their mum x

• Hi 

I was diagnosed on 27th Feb and had lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy on 2nd April . I was meant to get my results this Tuesday coming and had phone call Friday to push appt back as results not back yet , I’m trying to stay positive I was told it was stage 2 and was caught early but doesn’t stop the worry . All I can say is that they move really quick i can’t believe how quick I got my op . You said about them not telling you stage etc , I was sent a letter from my consultant/surgeon and it basically detailed what I was told at the appointment and how I took the news etc , this letter was also sent to my GP who rang me as I didn’t go to drs mine was picked up with routine mammogram! I’m not sure I really took the news in but I’ve found chatting to people has helped . Everybody’s journey is different and treatment is tailored to your needs but the support is a great help and there is plenty out there . We’re all here for you . 
    take care xx 

• Ah wow you've had answers then, i might ring up tomorrow and ask, i just dont know what to ask?? Congratulations on baby 2 otw, i have 6, 13 and 15 year old so yes gotta keep the spirits up xx

• You could always ask if there’s any chance there’s an earlier appointment. I had to wait 2 weeks for my second biopsy appointment and then another 4 days for the results. It’s probably slow growing otherwise they’d book you in sooner. Once all the results are back you’ll get a clear treatment plan which usually starts quickly 

• Wow yes they do seem to move quickly alot have said this so im gonna keep as positive as i can, i guess i have to listen to my body when im tired i need to rest etc. Good luck to you too and im here if you fancy a chat x