Letrozole side effects

• 32 replies
  • 484 subscribers

I started taking letrozole in the middle of 2022. In the last few months or so, I’ve been feeling phenomenally tired, nauseous and am always cold. I went to see my GP in November and she did some blood tests but they were normal. I’m wondering if it could be letrozole but it seems a long time after starting it for side effects to occur. Has anyine else experienced this?

• Hi Stella A

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with breast cancer.  While I haven't experienced what you are feeling I noticed that you haven't any replies so I thought I'd reply to you to welcome you to the community and to move you to the top of the discussion.  Hopefully someone will be along with an answer shortly.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi sella A , 

I’m sorry to hear that you’re suffering. Ive  only been on letrozole for 3 months and I’d say yes they have made me feel very tired too, along with nauseous. I went to my GP for anti sickness tablets…so far have tried two different types, the latest having more effect, worth having a chat with them and the BCN’s, to see what will work for you and reassurance

Best of luck, sending  Hugs 

• Hi Stella, I've been on Letrozole since May 2022 and like you have recently been feeling very tired, had achy ankles and my blood pressure is high.  I also saw my GP and had blood tests which were all fine, so they've put it down to the side effects of Letrozole.  I've got my 2 year review in February and intend asking if this is normal, so watch this space.  

• Hi Nicki! Thank you so much for your reply. I’m so sorry to hear that you too are suffering nausea and tiredness. The timing of your symptoms is pretty much the same as mine, which is kind of reassuring!!! I thought it was too late after I’d started taking it but various websites to say that the side affects can take months to start. I’ve put in a call to my breast care nurse and I’m hoping she’ll call tomorrow

• Thanks  for your reply! And I’m so  sorry that you’re suffering the side affects of Letrozole. I haven’t talked to my GP about some help for the nausea but having read your reply, I think I will!

• Many thanks for doing that! I’ve had some very helpful replies now

• Hi again Stella A,

I’ve just had a thought, in a previous chat on here about using letrozole, some said that side effects differ from brand to  brand.  It may be worth looking back through other chats to see what brand they said was a better one…I keep meaning to do this, as I remember them saying that accord is one of the ones that people suffer more side effects from . It is apparently also cheaper which is why prescribed, and the better one more expensive.

may be worth looking thru…(.i am going to look through too! ) and maybe request a change with your gp if this applies to you,

x

• Hello, also on letrozole for the past year or more. I’m also cold a lot and my nose gets freezing, quite severe joint pain which pretty sure is the letrozole. Also on Abemaciclib which is pretty awful so not sure which effects are from which drug. I’ve heard from other women that if you try a different brand of letrozole that can sometimes help with lessening the symptoms. Hope this helps you 

• I also have bad ankles lately so maybe it is the letrozole 

• Hi, have you changed brands?  I have heard from many people that the brand makes a difference. Whilst the active drug is the same, it seems that the “filler”in the pill can make quite a difference to the side effects.  Best wishes in finding a resolution 

Community Champion badge