It seems I'm a patient now!

• 10796 replies
  • 405 subscribers

But not a very patient one! 

I've at least got a diagnosis, it's invasive ductal cancer grade 2, but still small, oestrogen receptive but looks as if I might get away with the lymph nodes....and maybe not too much treatment afterwards? 

Complex plan, but to begin with, a sentinel node (plus another one or so) removal as day surgery, (a nuclear medicine visit first to get 'the jab' for them to trace) then a gap while that,  plus the HER result come back, then because of my previous surgeries for cysts and the fact one resulted in a massive haematoma, therefore scar tissue, I will have a complete mastectomy with an implant. That will be immediately after Easter. 

By finding out as much as possible beforehand, the surgeon hopes to prevent too many operations. Obviously I will then need Tamoxifen or similar, so will appreciate helpful advice about that. 

But I'd be interested on anyone's 'take' on her plan. I feel reassured that she took time with me, and the BC nurse afterwards spent a good while too. 

Hugs xxx

• Crop top =10/10! Thanks, M&S ladies! 

And I managed to send myself back to sleep by a bit of meditating when I had the 4am wakes last night.....hope those skills continue to work through all that this BC throws at me.

Daughter went north yesterday, and after a long journey was safe in Liverpool last night and overnight in Manchester (she’s playing in the band for Anton Du Beke and Erin Boag’s dance Show) and for those who don’t know, had a very long illness from lymphoma, diagnosed in 2004, no remission till 2011 and still having problems even now. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Morning Moomy,

M&S sorted me out in the bra stakes a few weeks ago, have a seroma under my Axillary scar which was causing bit of an issue with bras. Lived in stretchy crop tops for ages and wanted something that gave me a bit of a shape!

that sounds really exciting for your daughter. What instrument does she play? I lived in Liverpool for 6 years, love th place and Manchester too.

take care

Jac x
  • Hi Jac,

She’s a trombonist, unusual for a woman but proved a natural! Simply loves all types of music and still plays all types professionally! Got her degree from the RNCM....(proud Mum speaking!) 

I’ve always bought lingerie from M&S so it was logical to try them, just felt rather embarrassed at my outburst, I’m not like that, but had had a lousy night before and the dippy checkout lady just wound me up! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Shattered tonight, been explaining code breaking to quite a few of the 1,500 plus visitors to Bletchley Park today, lots really wanting to understand how we can still do it!

Night night all 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Wow that sounds fascinating!!

xx

Karen 

• It is, great fun when we do it for real too! I’m the First Lady to be trained to use and demonstrate the Bombe machine ( used to speed up the breaking of Enigma) since WW2! 

If you’ve seen ‘The Imitation Game’ it’s rather well removed from the truth, as films often are!

Unfortunately most of our demonstrators are chaps, which of course is opposite to WW2 times! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Omg

We discovered Bletchley last year and had such fun

We gave one another names

I was Celia and my sister was Bunty. We still call one another that now

The hubbies were Dickie and Algie

One of the best places ever to visit 

Leolady aka Celia

Life is like a boxing match, defeat is declared not when you fall ..... But when you refuse to stand up again ....... So, I get knocked down but I get up again. x

• Yes, most of the WW2 codebreakers were women - the men were all off fighting. So many things were done by women during the war, really turned society on it's head.

I've read a lot of historical war stuff, and yes, the films are usually somewhat off the mark!!

Good on you!!

xx

Karen 

• So, nothing to do with breast cancer but this is an important 2-day a week part of my life, volunteering at Bletchley Park 

Yes, however there were still very few women acknowledged as code breakers, they mostly did the slightly less skilled work like operating machines, translating, record keeping and so on. Joan Clarke, featured in  ‘Imitation Game’ was a code breaker but one of the most remarkable was Mavis Batey whose work directly led the Allies to win the Battle of Matapan. Mavis only died about three years back, post war she went into garden design! 

But the women at Bletchley and out-stations outnumbered the men by around 5:1, as you say, the men were fighting. The memorial that the Queen unveiled says ‘we also served’ and I think it’s sad that the veterans were never given proper medals, only a round golden disc with a blue centre in recent years, Baroness Trumpington called it a tin badge! 

It’s a fascinating place to volunteer and we learn more all the time.

And yes, having been so busy all day yesterday I slept like the proverbial log!

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Yay! Had the first night without a bra after the (highly bruised) biopsy.

Still very bruised but now those bruises are fantastic colours, still can feel her fingertips so there's probably deep bruising still. 

Sunny morning here but such a cold wind, went off to my Monday morning yoga session with extra layers on (it's only a 3 minute walk from home, really lucky to find a Hatha teacher so near!) and feel empowered after it! Already cleaned upstairs, now a coffee and downstairs to go......

Still waiting the call from nuclear medicine to find out when that radioactive jab will be therefore the sentinel node surgery......

Hugs xxx

Moomy