Laser surgery

• 25 replies
  • 54 subscribers

I had my pre op for a turbt then I got a call from the hospital saying it would be done whilst I was awake with a epidural, on the day I get to hospital and book in to then find out I’m not having what I first thought and in fact I was having Flexible cystoscopy, bladder biopsy and laser, without pain relief or pre warning, I felt completely blindsided and unprepared, the consultant said he will call me soon and have me back in 3 months to make sure it’s not grown back, I feel so upset and the fact when he was lasering I could see particles flying all over, now I am petrified that the parts will attach and that they will grow and I also feel like there is no certainty he got it all, has anyone had this experience? 

• Hi, I was knocked out when I had my TURBT, but the process was explained to me.

My surgeon said it was like peeling a carrot, they scrap off layers so I'm sure all sorts were floating around my bladder during the process..

Sorry to hear it's been a terrible process for you and it doesn't seem fair that they changed on the day.

I personally wouldn't worry about the removed parts reattaching, I don't think cancer works in that way. Although I would have thought that they would have flushed or sucked out the residue out at the time.

It's very common for people to have two TURBTS, so I'm wondering if you're going to be booked in for another TURBT later on.

I really hope they got it all and that all is well in three months.

I must admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable person, and I know very little about the lasering process, but I'm sure that they wouldn't leave anything that would cause problems down the line.

Hopefully more experienced will be able to offer some mote insight soon.

Take care.

Trevor 

• Hi Flonquisha, not heard of this exactly. But as far as I know you've probably benefitted from advancing technology. I can't be certain, but I think the laser will not only slice off the growths but seal where they came from. If I'm right, that sounds better than a traditional TURBT where they literally scrape at the growths, which leaves raw patches wherever there were growths. That causes bleeding afterwards, then scabs form, which being soaked in urine present like clots of blood, which all have to be passed as they come away as the lining heals underneath them. That takes two to three weeks, and the patches can be sore in the meantime, even sometimes again when they come off, so call your CNS if there is one, or MacMillan helpline [number at the very bottom right of this page] to confirm. If what I've suggested is right, then although they should have warned you, at least you can take comfort it was a good thing really.

• Hi all, this article from the BCAN network is quite good at describing the surgical technique used for tumour removal during a TURBT, Leo bcan.org/.../

• Thanks Leo. I also found this on the NHS website...

County Hospital introduce new bladder cancer treatment service
    Patients from University Hospitals of North midlands with small recurrent bladder tumours are benefiting from a new outpatient procedure at County Hospital, Stafford which allows them to go home the same day, minimising the need for any unnecessary hospital stays.

The Transurethral laser ablation (TULA), it is a quick and pain-free outpatient procedure and involves putting a slender endoscope through the waterpipe and examining the bladder. A fine laser fibre is then used to remove the abnormal tissue or growths within the bladder.

Bladder cancer, in general, is more common in elderly patients and has high chances of recurrence, requiring multiple surgical procedures under general anaesthesia in the operation theatre with day case or an overnight stay.

The procedure takes less than an hour to complete and is done under local anaesthetic, which means patients do not need to be fasted or stop their blood thinning tablets before and they can go home after the procedure.

• So it's does sound like Denby was correct when they mentioned you've benefitting from advancing technology.

However saying all that they really should have kept you properly updated which would have helped addressed your concerns.

Take care.

Trevor 

• He did it without anaesthetic, to be fair the laser part didn’t hurt it was the rest and two days later I do feel okay, 

• Hi Trevor 

It does look that way, I just wish they had told me and talked me through it first, when he asked me you know what you are here for, I said well I did but now I don’t have a clue, he just laughed like I was joking, I’m not complaining I’m just scared, I have tried to get answers to my questions online and I can’t find anything, I’m 45 and work with computers so i do know my way around.

Thank you

Flonquisha

• Hi Denby,

I think you are correct in what you are saying, I just feel scared as I read when you have a TUBT and but come away the they give you chemo so it kills bits so they don’t attach, maybe I read it wrong , I really hope I did, but at the moment I have this image in my had of the bits flying around as he was lasting it off, and all I can think is the little bits reattaching and making more growths, I have another scan in 3 months to make sure it’s not grown back.

Flonquisha

• Crikey so you had no anaesthetic at all, no GA or epidural / spinal? Leo

• Hi Flonquisha,I’m sorry you didn’t have things explained clearly.They don’t always give chemo so try not to worry about that.It is possible to have superficial biopsies and areas removed without a full anaesthetic.I have had this done many times due to a chronic bladder disease prior to cancer.You could clearly see debris floating around but this would be passed in the urine.It ‘s usual to have a second TURBT procedure where deeper biopsies that go into the muscle are done under a general anaesthetic.I hope you are finding the group helpful.Love Jane