Laser surgery

• 25 replies
  • 54 subscribers

I had my pre op for a turbt then I got a call from the hospital saying it would be done whilst I was awake with a epidural, on the day I get to hospital and book in to then find out I’m not having what I first thought and in fact I was having Flexible cystoscopy, bladder biopsy and laser, without pain relief or pre warning, I felt completely blindsided and unprepared, the consultant said he will call me soon and have me back in 3 months to make sure it’s not grown back, I feel so upset and the fact when he was lasering I could see particles flying all over, now I am petrified that the parts will attach and that they will grow and I also feel like there is no certainty he got it all, has anyone had this experience? 

• No, nothing the biopsy hurt the most, didn’t actually feel the laser, the camera part was uncomfortable, and I actually got to watch the whole thing, the fist wee after had blood in and has stung to go for two days, now I’m on day 3 and I feel nothing! Just have to wait for the scab to fall off and have to be carful not to split it.

Flonquisha

• Hi Leo,They are painful without anaesthetic aside from numbing gel used to insert the canera.I had 6 taken this way on one occasion.

• Hi Jane,

min was the size of a thumb nail and bulbous looking like pink cotton candy, I don’t know how that compares to others, it’s hard to keep things out of my head, I do work within the nhs and have spoken to my colleagues and no one wants to answer the question because it’s not their field which I understand, I think my problem is I have seen so many things over the years, I’m only focusing on worse case and extreme circumstances. Pensive

love

Flonquisha (Stacy) 

• Thank you, I felt I was being a wimp, sorry you had to go though it too but I’m glad I’m not alone, 

Flonquisha

• It’s not easy when you have experience working in the nhs.I worked for them too though can’t mention my old job .I hope you don’t have to wait too long for the biopsy results.Be prepared for another procedure under a general anaesthetic as that seems standard practice.Love Jane x

• I’ve been a urology patient for 41 years so I’ve probably had more procedures than most people here.You are not being a wimp they are painful taken this way.I’m sorry you didn’t have it all explained in detail.I think sometimes it becomes so routine to the staff they forget the patient might be feeling apprehensive.X

• No sometimes knowing too much and not enough at the same time is a real hinder, I did think that on here we are all just people that are sharing experiences and supporting each other and no one is here to give medical advice, no matter what I know from within my job role, going though this I feel scared and vulnerable, talking to all of you that understand and have actually been through it really helps! 

Thank you so much.

Flonquisha x

• Wow 41 years! How do you do it? I’m 45 and that was my first one and after I cried like a baby! I didn’t even cry when I was told it was cancer in my first cystoscopy, I feel like I’m being really dramatic but I can’t keep doing this, how do you keep going? 

love 

Flonquisha 

• I’ve been told I’m strong mentally though at times recently I haven’t felt it.It is a shock to get a cancer diagnosis and we all react differently.There is no right or wrong way to deal with it.Being part of a community who understand does help.I feel much better since my bladder was removed.My only regret is that it wasn’t taken out before I got cancer.I don’t miss all the cystoscopies and cytology tests and it’s good to be out of severe pain.Jane x

• The Mitomycin 'wash' is to nobble any cancer cells missed by the scraping, ie still attached, perhaps missed because they were invisibly small. It's not about the loose stuff, which you'll wee out.