Afraid, but not sure if this is the right forum

• 21 replies
  • 50 subscribers

I was diagnosed with breast cancer (15mm Grade 2 Er+ Pr+ Her2- not in the lymph nodes) in September 2020 following a mammogram.  I had 2 operations (WLE and sentinal nodes) to get clear margins followed by a week of radiotherapy.  I am now on Letrozole for 5 years . 

When I finished my treatment on 5th March, I thought I had better sort out my slight anal bleeding which had been going on since about September 2019.  I had seen my GP on 9 March 2020 and, hearing my symptoms but without examining me, she said I had piles.  I had been rather diverted from this by my breast cancer and the pandemic, but the bleeding had continued, not very much, but usually after each BM.  Also I had to push back the pile from time to time.  In March 2021 I got a telephone appointment with another GP in the practice.  When she heard my symptoms I had a face to face appointment 3 days later and she did examine me.  She said that it didn't feel squishy enough (technical term!) for piles and thought it was a polyp and put me on a 2 week urgent referral to the colo-rectal team.  Following a telephone appointment I had a colonoscopy which didn't show anything in the colon except mild diverticulitis.  However, they were not able to see or photograph the polyp (which they could feel) which was too near the end and referred me for a 2 week review and rigid sigmoidoscopy with the colo-rectal surgeons.  I had that 10 days ago and the consultant said I had a polyp part of which seemed to be benign but the underneath part of which was irregular and hard.  So I was then put down for an MRI scan and also biopsy of the polyp, under general anaesthetic, within 2 weeks.  I had the MRI scan today and am due to have the biopsy next Wednesday.  It is fairly clear to me that they think this is cancerous.  When I asked what the treatment would be if it is cancer, the consultant said it would depend on whether it was in the rectum or the anus and it is on the margin. Apparently the treatment is different.

I have not been told what will happen at the biopsy and whether it will involve removing the polyp or what to expect after such a biopsy.

So now I feel as though someone has punched me in the stomach.  I can't believe that I might have a second primary cancer in such a short time!  Of course, I may be wrong and it might all prove to be benign.   I am anxious all the time, having terrible trouble sleeping, and can't settle or clear my mind to work.  I am 70 and am self employed.  I have a lot of support from family and friends but they also have their issues at the moment so am very reluctant to burden them with all my fears.  Is there anyone out there who has had anything similar?  I would love to hear from you.

Thank you in advance,

Jane