Afraid, but not sure if this is the right forum

• 21 replies
  • 49 subscribers

I was diagnosed with breast cancer (15mm Grade 2 Er+ Pr+ Her2- not in the lymph nodes) in September 2020 following a mammogram.  I had 2 operations (WLE and sentinal nodes) to get clear margins followed by a week of radiotherapy.  I am now on Letrozole for 5 years . 

When I finished my treatment on 5th March, I thought I had better sort out my slight anal bleeding which had been going on since about September 2019.  I had seen my GP on 9 March 2020 and, hearing my symptoms but without examining me, she said I had piles.  I had been rather diverted from this by my breast cancer and the pandemic, but the bleeding had continued, not very much, but usually after each BM.  Also I had to push back the pile from time to time.  In March 2021 I got a telephone appointment with another GP in the practice.  When she heard my symptoms I had a face to face appointment 3 days later and she did examine me.  She said that it didn't feel squishy enough (technical term!) for piles and thought it was a polyp and put me on a 2 week urgent referral to the colo-rectal team.  Following a telephone appointment I had a colonoscopy which didn't show anything in the colon except mild diverticulitis.  However, they were not able to see or photograph the polyp (which they could feel) which was too near the end and referred me for a 2 week review and rigid sigmoidoscopy with the colo-rectal surgeons.  I had that 10 days ago and the consultant said I had a polyp part of which seemed to be benign but the underneath part of which was irregular and hard.  So I was then put down for an MRI scan and also biopsy of the polyp, under general anaesthetic, within 2 weeks.  I had the MRI scan today and am due to have the biopsy next Wednesday.  It is fairly clear to me that they think this is cancerous.  When I asked what the treatment would be if it is cancer, the consultant said it would depend on whether it was in the rectum or the anus and it is on the margin. Apparently the treatment is different.

I have not been told what will happen at the biopsy and whether it will involve removing the polyp or what to expect after such a biopsy.

So now I feel as though someone has punched me in the stomach.  I can't believe that I might have a second primary cancer in such a short time!  Of course, I may be wrong and it might all prove to be benign.   I am anxious all the time, having terrible trouble sleeping, and can't settle or clear my mind to work.  I am 70 and am self employed.  I have a lot of support from family and friends but they also have their issues at the moment so am very reluctant to burden them with all my fears.  Is there anyone out there who has had anything similar?  I would love to hear from you.

Thank you in advance,

Jane

• Hi Jane (),

I know just what you mean about coping better when you have all the information regardless of what that might be as I’m exactly the same & definitely nighttime’s are the worst, as you say you can fairly easily distract yourself during the daytime but nighttime is a lonely place. 

I had a call about my biopsy results exactly 7 days after they were taken & got my diagnosis at that appointment, I agree with Bev that if you haven’t heard anything by day 7 give the hospital a call.

The waiting is awful, especially with the delays that people are experiencing due to the pandemic but hopefully you’ll hear something very soon & if you’re unfortunate enough for this to be AC then at least a treatment plan can be put in place & you can get on with seeing the demise of this awful thing. 

Nicola

• Hi my heart goes out to you, I was exactly the same before I received my diagnosis. I felt physically unwell with it, feeling sick and stressed to the point I would have diarrhoea. Once I knew  the diagnosis some of the acute stress fell away as although  it was horrible news at least things were now going to be sorted out. There was further stress in waiting for a treatment start date but my stress levels reduced once I started treatment. . The only tips I can give are to keep as busy as possible during the day and if you are struggling with insomnia  you can perhaps consider  a telephone appointment with your GP for a short course of something to help you sleep. I had Zopiclone which I used on the really bad nights as I was working full time and had to carry on working, taking time off would have only made things worse with time on my hands to ruminate.  You could also try meditation, there's loads of videos online, you could try one before you go to bed. You can always post on here for support, we can all empathise with what you're currently going through.  Bev x

1in1500
  • Hi Nicola,

Thank you for your response. Am trying to occupy myself in the daytime with work and other bits and pieces.  I tried to phone the surgeon's secretary today to find out what happened at the biopsy and when they expect to have results.  However, automatic message told me that she was now on holiday and will be back on Tuesday 2nd June, the day of the MDT meeting!  Will try again later in the week and perhaps speak to one of the other secretaries. Thanks to you and rest of the people on here, nighttime is not quite such a lonely place.

Thank you again,

Jane

• Hi 1in1500 (by the way, where does your username come from, if I'm not being too intrusive?),

Have just had a call to make an appointment for me to see the consultant on Thursday afternoon.  They must have got my results much sooner than expected. I find it very ominous that they said I could bring someone with me, in these Covid times!

Thank you for your advice about sleep.  I have got Headspace on my phone and have been trying some of the meditations.  Also, I have been trying not to read anything or think about cancer before I go to sleep. It has helped a bit.

Probably will feel better when I find out things on Thursday.  At least I dont have to wait and worry for such a long time

I really really appreciate all the support you are all giving me.

Thank you

Jane

• Hi  it’s good that you’ve got your results back, like you say it is less waiting and worrying time. I wouldn’t necessarily read too much into the fact you were told you could bring someone with you. Most patients do want someone with them when they are receiving results of cancer testing, regardless of whether those results are good are bad. It’s definitely a good idea not to be reading anything about cancer before you go to bed and also avoid blue light from your laptop and phone which stops the brain from winding down. I will be thinking of you on Thursday and hoping you get the results you want. My username is a reference to how rare anal cancer is, there’s only about 1 in 1500 diagnosed per year in the UK although numbers are increasing.  Bev. 

1in1500
  • Hi Bev,

You are very good at taking stress away - thank you!  The only reason I thought it a bit sinister was that, throughout my cancer experience during Covid I have been positively prevented from having someone with me at appointments, whether I wanted or not!  Anyway, what will be will be and stressing about it beforehand is not going to change anything.

Anyway, thank you.

Jane

• Hi Bev and Nicola and my other friends here.  Thank you for all your support and encouragement.

Just wanted to say goodbye because today my surgeon told me that I have rectal cancer (no lymph nodes, no spread).  It is actually so close to the anal sphincter that they will treat it as rectal cancer.  The treatment is surgery to remove my rectum and anus and close my anus.  I will have to have a permanent stoma. Am trying to come to terms with it but more than a little bit difficult.  Didn't realise I was so attached to my anus until I was told it was being removed!

So I will move to the colon cancer forum, but won't forget you and all the kindness you have shown me.

Thank you again,

Jane

• Hi   I'm very sorry to hear your news but it's good that its contained. It must have been such a shock for you with the diagnosis and the stoma news all at once. It's so much for you to take in.  There have been quite a few in this group who have had stomas and got along with them very well. There is also a stoma support group on  which you can access by clicking the following link  https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ileostomy-and-colostomy-discussions-forum/   I wish you all the best and please do always feel free to pop back on here whenever you like. Bev x

1in1500
  • Dear Bev, thank you again for your encouragement.  I will follow the stoma support group as you suggest.  Haven't been wailing and weeping but didn't get any sleep last night, worrying and trying to work out how I will cope with the operation, work, my daughter hoping to move house in 3 or 4 weeks (while simultaneously she tries to get back to work after a 6 month break for stress -  she is a consultant psychiatrist and the sole breadwinner and caregiver in her household because her husband is completely crippled with MS).  It all seems to much to cope with.

Anyway you have all been a great support to me and I'm sure I will get through it.

Jane xx

• Hi Jane (),

I’m so sorry to hear this. That was a lot of information to process in one meeting, I’m sure you’re feeling more than a little bewildered by it all & shocked to say the least. We have a couple of members here that have had APR surgery but you will probably get more information akin to your diagnosis over on the bowel, colon & rectal cancer group & I see Bev has pointed you in the direction of the colostomy support forum too. I’d just like to wish you well on your journey, I hope everything goes to plan & your surgeries and recovery goes smoothly. We’re always here if ever you need us don’t ever feel you can’t pop back over here. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. 

Nicola