Afraid, but not sure if this is the right forum

• 21 replies
  • 49 subscribers

I was diagnosed with breast cancer (15mm Grade 2 Er+ Pr+ Her2- not in the lymph nodes) in September 2020 following a mammogram.  I had 2 operations (WLE and sentinal nodes) to get clear margins followed by a week of radiotherapy.  I am now on Letrozole for 5 years . 

When I finished my treatment on 5th March, I thought I had better sort out my slight anal bleeding which had been going on since about September 2019.  I had seen my GP on 9 March 2020 and, hearing my symptoms but without examining me, she said I had piles.  I had been rather diverted from this by my breast cancer and the pandemic, but the bleeding had continued, not very much, but usually after each BM.  Also I had to push back the pile from time to time.  In March 2021 I got a telephone appointment with another GP in the practice.  When she heard my symptoms I had a face to face appointment 3 days later and she did examine me.  She said that it didn't feel squishy enough (technical term!) for piles and thought it was a polyp and put me on a 2 week urgent referral to the colo-rectal team.  Following a telephone appointment I had a colonoscopy which didn't show anything in the colon except mild diverticulitis.  However, they were not able to see or photograph the polyp (which they could feel) which was too near the end and referred me for a 2 week review and rigid sigmoidoscopy with the colo-rectal surgeons.  I had that 10 days ago and the consultant said I had a polyp part of which seemed to be benign but the underneath part of which was irregular and hard.  So I was then put down for an MRI scan and also biopsy of the polyp, under general anaesthetic, within 2 weeks.  I had the MRI scan today and am due to have the biopsy next Wednesday.  It is fairly clear to me that they think this is cancerous.  When I asked what the treatment would be if it is cancer, the consultant said it would depend on whether it was in the rectum or the anus and it is on the margin. Apparently the treatment is different.

I have not been told what will happen at the biopsy and whether it will involve removing the polyp or what to expect after such a biopsy.

So now I feel as though someone has punched me in the stomach.  I can't believe that I might have a second primary cancer in such a short time!  Of course, I may be wrong and it might all prove to be benign.   I am anxious all the time, having terrible trouble sleeping, and can't settle or clear my mind to work.  I am 70 and am self employed.  I have a lot of support from family and friends but they also have their issues at the moment so am very reluctant to burden them with all my fears.  Is there anyone out there who has had anything similar?  I would love to hear from you.

Thank you in advance,

Jane

• Hello Jane, 

Im sorry to hear of all you’ve been through recently. I can tell you what happened with my biopsy. It was done under general anesthesia and the surgeon told me that she would take out as much of the mass as she could without going too far into the tissue causing permanent damage. The biopsy confirmed that it was cancer, not saying that yours will be though. I just had my biopsy a week ago and am doing well. I had some bleeding and pain when I go to the bathroom but nothing unbearable. My doctor told me to take lots of warm baths and to take a stool softener. Hope that answered some of your questions. I hope all goes well for you.

Meg

• Hello Meg,

Thank you for such a quick reply.  Am due for my pre-op today and may try and ask some questions.  Did they recommend any particular stool softener?

Sorry to hear that yours is cancer.  Its quite a crushing thing, isn't it.  I wish you all the best.

Jane

• Hi  I’m very sorry to hear of your situation, you’ve been through so much already. Anal cancer is where cancer occurs in the anal canal or on the anal verge, which is the skin immediately outside the anus.  The anal canal is about 5-7 Cm  long. If the cancer occurs after the anal canal, in the rectum ( immediately after the anal canal), that would be Rectal cancer. The treatments are different. In relation to anal cancer, if it is small, and clear margins can be achieved it is possible to have surgery to remove the tumour and avoid radiotherapy and chemo. My tumour was in the anal canal emerging out onto the anal verge. It was over 2cm and clear margins could not be achieved so I had the standard treatment which is 5.5 weeks of radiotherapy and chemotherapy Monday to Friday. The chemotherapy in the UK is a one off infusion of a drug called Mitomycin on day one then daily tablets of Capacetabine for 5.5 weeks. The chemo tends to be well tolerated, the radiotherapy causes different side effects which people tolerate in different ways. As you’ve already been through a cancer diagnosis you know this is the worst bit, the waiting for results. Hopefully this will turn out to be non-cancerous but if not please be reassured that anal cancer has high treatment success rates. Please come back on for further support when you need it. Bev. 

1in1500
  • Hi Jane (), 

Welcome to our forum although I’m sorry you’ve had the need to find us. I'm also sorry that you’ve been through so much already without the issue that’s brought you here. 

I’ll not go over the info that Bev has given you regarding the treatment for anal cancer but the dilemma for you seems to be, if in fact this unfortunately turns out to be cancer again, whether it’s anal or rectal cancer. For being in such close proximity to each other they do seem to be very different diagnosis's with different treatment plans. Anal cancer as was explained to me by my surgeon & oncologist is more akin to a skin cancer & mine presented as an external polyp whereas rectal cancer is closer related to bowel or colon cancer. Bev has thoroughly explained the treatment for anal cancer but with rectal cancer the first line treatment where appropriate is surgery, if surgery isn’t suitable then I think chemotherapy is the next step. 

When I had my biopsy the colorectal surgeon removed probably 80% of the external polyp although obviously the lesion underneath was still there. If you click on my username you can read a little of my story there. I took Movicol or Laxido stool softeners as I was a little sore afterwards. 

It really is the worst time having to wait for tests & results as you already know from you previous experience. The anxiety is just awful & like you I found my concentration was non existent & sleep very poor, I think this is totally natural. 

I do hope this turns out to be benign & you can just get back to living your life you’ve been through enough already. Good luck for your biopsy next week. 

Nicola 

• Good morning,

• No particular brand of stool softener but I was told to make sure it is just a stool softener and not a laxative. To answer your question about it being a crushing thing......yes it is! I also was told mine was hemorrhoids for several months. And I too, also had breast cancer about 5 years ago. They think my two cancers aren’t related but they do want me to have some genetic testing done. Please keep us updated. Best wishes!
  • Hi Bev, Nicola and Meg,

I'm sorry that I haven't replied to your very kind posts before now.  When I looked here on Friday evening I was totally unable to log into my account!   There was some technical glitch and it kept on asking me to confirm my username and when I did it said someone else had that name.  Anyway, the Macmillan tech people have sorted it out today.

I found your replies and support very helpful and comforting.  As you say, its the waiting and not knowing that is the worst thing.  Also, I haven't had anyone in my medical team to phone and ask questions of.  On Friday at the pre-op, the nurse was only concerned with whether I would be fit enough for a general anaesthetic.  When I asked what would happen in the biopsy she said I would have to ask the surgical team.  Finally got through to the secretary yesterday and had a call today from the registrar.  She said that in the operation they would look at the lesion and remove some samples for biopsy.  I asked whether they would remove the polyp at the same time and she said it was too big (!).  So now I am perhaps a bit more worried.  She said they wouldn't know if it was cancerous until they had the biopsy report back in 7 - 10 days and had also reviewed the MRI scan.  It would then be discussed in the MTD meeting, probably on 31st May (I think unlikely as that is a bank holiday!).  I would then be contacted.  So, thank goodness for this site as it looks like another couple of weeks of worrying.

Biopsy is tomorrow.  Not looking forward to it in some way as it will be my third general anaesthetic in 7 months, but just want to get it over with.

Bev, thank you for your information about treatment for anal cancer - it looks do-able if not wonderfully pleasant.  I think I will rely on this site for useful practical information if that is what I have.

Nicola, not sure what the treatment is if it is rectal cancer but, as above, will rely on this site.  I will take up your suggestion of Movicol for after my biopsy and Meg's of warm baths. Of course, it may turn out to be benign but am not too optimistic.

Meg, how are things going for you?  You know it is cancer but have you got a treatment plan yet.  Am thinking of you and wishing you all the best.  Please let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes to you all,

Jane

• Hi  all the waiting around for the diagnosis is truly terrible. During that time I tried to keep as busy as possible with work but inevitably your mind keeps drifting back to it and imagining worse case scenarios. I really hope it is benign but if you will get through the treatment and it is short which is great. I had friends with breast cancer who were diagnosed around the same time as me and their treatment lasted 6 months. Please continue to reach out for support there will always someone around on here to help. Bev. 

1in1500
  • Hi 1in1500,

Had biopsy under general anaesthetic on Wednesday.  Consultant came round beforehand and said they would have a good look around.  If the polyp looked OK and was small enough they would remove it and send it for biopsy, but if it looked more imbedded (and he thought this was going to be the case) they would take samples for biopsy.  They wanted me to have a CT scan in the next week (if they took the whole polyp this could be delayed until after the MDT meeting).  All would be discussed in MDT meeting probably on 1st June.  They had had a preliminary look at the MRI which showed up the polyp. I didn't see him after the procedure but, as I was phoned yesterday to give me a CT appointment for today, I presume that they weren't able to remove the polyp.

So really, I don't feel any further forward about knowing exactly where the 'lesion' (as he called it) is and whether it is cancer or anything.  Just more waiting and waiting! 

Fortunately I haven't had any ill effects from the procedure - a small amount of pain when I came round, a little bleeding and no constipation problems.  So I have been fortunate.

Sorry to sound off.  Thank you for all your help.

Jane

• Hi   there certainly seems to be a lack of information provided to you. It seems that the polyp has been biopsied and my biopsy results came back after about 10 days.  I hope your scan went ok today. I would give the hospital a call after about 7 days, there is a chance the biopsy results may be back by the and maybe the scan results too. If they're not back I would be asking when you should expect to hear from them which should be straight after the MDT on 1st June. The waiting is so frustrating and very very difficult to deal  with, it really is the hardest part. Bev x

1in1500
  • Hi 1in1500,

I know it is the middle of the night but as usual I'm not able to sleep.  I'm very tired but the moment I turn out the light I am surrounded by my fears about all this.  Am almost certain that it is cancer but no-one has actually said that it is.  I had another look at the letter about my original appointment with the consultant on 6th May (which only arrived on 19th May after my biopsy) that they said I had some small lymph nodes in the groin and a 9 o'clock large anal lesion 1cm from the anal verge.  I'm just scared, scared.  I know they can't tell me anything until all the results are in and they have discussed them all, but feel I would cope better with definite information even if it is that it is cancer.  I know from my breast cancer experience that as soon as I know what I am dealing with I can calm down a bit and mentally adjust.  Very hard to keep going as normal in the daytime but at least there are other things to think about to distract me.  Trying not to worry the family too much.

Sorry about this, will stop rabbiting on.  Just feel very alone.

Jane