Hello, Hair.

• 4 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hello, I’m new to the group.

I finished my treatment April 2020. I had a bad reaction to the Chemo and my hair thinned quite a lot.

I now have a 3” re growth of grey hair,with blonde ends.

I want to colour my hair but my hair still feels a bit delicate. Could anyone advise me what I should do.

Has anyone had the same problem.? 

• Hi there ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m sorry you’ve had the need to find us! 

Although my hair thinned a little only I could notice but it did seem pretty frazzled & not in great condition after my treatment finished. From what I recall if you lose a lot of hair or in some cases all of it the general advice is not to colour for around 6 months or so as the new hair isn’t as strong, I do know that Holland & Barrett’s do hair colours that don’t have many of the harsh chemicals in that mainstream  hair dyes have, it’d maybe be worth speaking to a hairdresser or popping into Holland & Barrett’s they usually have lots of good advice. 

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Nicola

• Hi  and welcome. Years ago I frazzled my hair by bleaching it so much. I used a plant based dye after this, a brand called Daniel Field I think. It was gentle on my hair. You sound like you need an ammonia and paraben free dye. There are loads of plant based dyes around these days so have a bit of a look at what’s on offer. After my treatment in 2019 I gave one of the chemo nurses a call about beginning to dye my hair again and she was very helpful. Bev. 

• Thank you so much for your reply, I’ll give Holland &Barrett a try. Fingers 

Know body at the Hospital mentioned to me about leaving it 6 Months before colouring my hair so there I was putting colour on about 4weeks after I finished my treatment. I did have a bad reaction to the Chemo as well and one of the nurses said this could be why my hair thinned so much. X

• Hi Thank you so much for your reply. I’ll definitely have a look at the Daniel Field range.

Another lady on here has mentioned looking at Holland& Barrett for hair colours as well. 
    You seem to loose all your self confidence after going through what we have been through, and it doesn’t help if your hair doesn’t feel right. X