Very painful bottom

• 13 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I think I've asked before, but does anyone have any wonderful ideas on how to sit for any length of time, on a painful bottom? I'm not able to move around much, waiting for second hip replacement, but oh dear, my poor bum! It's 3 years since treatment but I can't sit for more than an hour or two without pain! Nothing looks abnormal, not even red but it hurts like crazy!

Moira x

• Hi Moira,

Sorry to read that you're having such pain and discomfort with sitting. I don't know what treatment you've had so not sure if my suggestion is valid for you.

Since having my posterior pelvic exenteration surgery 3 years ago I haven't been able to sit of firm surfaces without a lot of discomfort. I was given a valley cushion in hospital, but this was too hard and was no use at all. 

I started to use an inflatable donut cushion and now I use this all the time. It works best when it's partially inflated. I think that's because it kind of moves with me. If it's fully inflated it just too hard. 

As we do so much sitting, it's really important to find something that gives even a bit of relief. I know I wouldn't be without my cushion - I take it everywhere I go and I have one that I keep in the car! Curiously, nobody ever asks whey I use this (apart from one uninhibited 3 year-old!)!

BTW, the best ones I've had are the larger size ones - they come in different diameters. Not too expensive and available on Amazon.

I hope this is of some use to you and I wish you all the best.

Ozboz

• I had radiation treatment for anal cancer and also surgery for a colostomy, 3 years ago! I remember asking, while getting treatment, about doughnut cushions and was told they weren't recomenned  I think that could have been during treatment though! I honestly can't see what harm they could do now and I'm going to order one from Amazon! I've tried all sorts of cushions from the OT Dept but, like you, I've found them to hard, plus they all have that plastic covering which tends to stick! 

Thank you so much for your help,

Moira x

• Here is the copy of my related writing posted few days ago in reply to another post:

I use big size pilates ball to sit at the dinning table, so, i actually not sit on the ball, but always roll on it. This setup is secured by a wall behind the back/ball. l feel comfortable during such sitting, and even have two foot massagers under the table (percussion and shiatsu, plus another mechanical one) to do foot massage while dining.

Hope it helps. 

Sincerely,

Alex

• Go for it! Mine is called 66FIT, but there are others. I like the size of this and  I've bought a few over the last 2 years (twice because they were taken when I left them in a cafe or somewhere!!). It's got a soft covering, so doesn't stick to you. It's about £13 - so worth it if it gives you even a bit of relief! Hope it works for you!

All the best.

Ozboz x

• Can I heck find it on Amazon! I've found wobble cushions and all sorts but just not the one you're telling me about! Any ideas? 

Moira  x

• Found it and sent for it, thanks a lot! 

Moira x

• Moira

I also used an inflatable ring, mine was a maternity one from Boots, I had tried a number of cushions but the ring was best and as it is quite small was easy to carry about.  I am sorry you are still having pain there, I wonder if the pain is from your pelvis rather than from actual flesh.  If I lie on my side my actual hip bone aches and my bed is quite soft.  I would lie on my back but apparently I snore (loudly too, I am told!)

Best of luck finding something that suits.

Irene xx

• Hi Irene,

It's definitely the skin, no breaks, rashes or anything, according to my long suffering husband! I'm spending more and more time lying upstairs on my side, in bed! I'm praying the ring works! I'm not getting much sleep at the moment, the pain from my hip, the neuropathy pain and now this seems to be getting worse, I'm actually sick of the sound of me moaning!

Thanks for telling me about the maternity cushion, I never would have thought about that! Hope you're well Irene,

Moira x

• Hi is it your coccyx ie your tailbone?  If so can you get a gel cushion to sit on?  It might help

• No, it's sore skin, very sensitive and painful! I've just bought the doughnut cushions but I think it's going to take a bit of getting used to! Grinning x