Coping with Covid life

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hello everyone, 

I'm struggling a bit with Covid life. I was diagnosed with anal cancer during lockdown, in April 2020, and had 5.5 weeks of radiotherapy from June to July.  I didn't work from March to October because of Covid. I went back to work in October and had to quit my job on the second day due to extreme stress, almost a panic attack, I had muscle spasms which brought me to my knees because they were so painful. Theyve lasted four days and still ongoing, but dulled a little now, as I've started antidepressants.  I can't bear wearing a mask all day and being close to so many strangers. I was working in a shop.  Radiotherapy left me feeling claustrophobic. Im now a nervous wreck, and I'm normally a very confident and chatty, forthright person.

Does anyone else feel different since having treatment? Is anyone feeling the stress of life now with Covid? I feel as though I want to run away somewhere.  But Covid has shut all the doors on family, friends etc.

• Oh yes I hear you.  I finished 5 weeks treatment in early feb this year.  Then the shutdown.  I'm semi retired and self employed but still really struggled.  When I was finally feeling like getting out....I scheduled a week long women only hike on the applachian trail.  But one of my twin sons (23) broke his damn arm in 3 places on his motorcycle the week before my trip!!!!!  So trip canceled and nursed him instead.  Sometimes it seems so hard to catch a break.  Which seems ironic!  I do hear you and send you sincere good thoughts.  

• Hi Flores I’m sorry to hear you’re going through this. Are you finding the antidepressants are helping at all? They do take a while to build up in your system. In relation to anxiety, I have found Propanalol are very effective. Perhaps you could speak to your GP about that. These are difficult times, a pandemic just after your treatment. Are you able to speak by ‘phone/ video chat with your friends and family? I know it’s not the same but it’s better than nothing. It’s important you’re not totally isolated. Please come on here to share your worries and concerns whenever you need to. X
  • Hi Teletubby, that hike sounds interesting, how many miles is it? I like walking but don’t think I could manage a week of it! X

• It was to have been 50 miles over 5 days.  Most days between 8 and 13 miles.  All women.  I traveled and hiked the grand canyon 3 years ago with this group.  We went to havasupai Indian reservation also. The group is called Adventures in good company. Look them up!!

• Will do, thank you! Wow 50 miles in 5 days, a bit beyond my capabilities ! x