Newly diagnosed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi this is my first post after receiving my  diagnosis of anal cancer by post in a letter that I wasn’t meant to receive!! 

So apologies I will introduce myself I’m 54 wife, mother to 2 wonderful boys and Nannie to 3 beautiful grandchildren

I went to the Drs a few weeks ago as I thought I had piles it turns out I don’t and I have a Squamous Cell Carcinoma in the anal canal!  I had a biopsy just over a week ago and was awaiting results I’ve had an MRI, CT scan and a PET scan next week,on Wednesday of this week I received a copy of a letter that was sent to the pulmonary team saying I have been diagnosed with a localised Squamous Cell Carcinoma they want the lung team to look as they think it’s metastatic, to get this in the post has been devastating beyond belief, my husband has myeloma and is currently on second line treatment after relapsing following a stem cell transplant 2 years ago he knows that I may have cancer but he had no idea about the letter as he’s currently in hospital with suspected  unstable angina !! 

I have tried unsuccessfully to get someone from the hospital to speak to me the secretary just apologised and said I shouldn’t of found out this way, I have used all my strength to support my husband i am the one supposed to be caring for him I am so upset and don’t know if I have enough strength to get through this 

• Hi , I am so sorry to read what you're going through. How awful to find out that way. Have you tried PALS (click here)? You can write, phone or visit. They're usually near the hospital entrance and they're very good with support. It might help to contact your GP too as he could arrange for you to get some counselling, albeit probably online during Covid, but anything would help. I'm not surprised that you're upset, you've got so much on your plate. 

Thinking of you, 

LoobyLou x

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• Hi ,

Welcome to the online community although I’m sorry you’ve had the need to find us. I’m also so sorry for what you’re having to deal with at the moment. Supporting your husband throughout his illness must be difficult but then to be faced with your own diagnosis & to receive this letter that obviously wasn’t intended for you must have thrown you into a complete tailspin! I would be persistent & keep trying to speak to someone regarding this information, the person that has requested the further investigation by the lung team seems to be the one you need to speak to. I also agree with LoobyLou, I would look at going through PALS. 

Not much comfort at the moment I know but once you have your diagnostic scans next week & they’re reviewed by your team you’ll know for definite what’s what & hopefully they’ll get a treatment plan in place quickly for you. I would also maybe give the Macmillan Helpline a ring they will be able to offer some practical advice on coping with being your husbands primary carer along with having to deal with your personal situation right now. Your GP should also be able to give you information of support services that may be useful in your area too, it was my GP that put me on to my local Cancer Connections service & they helped me with a lot of practical advice right in the beginning & throughout. You must feel so overwhelmed right now & that is completely understandable, I feel for you I really do, please give our helpline a ring though as you definitely need some support right now. 

Nicola