Radiotherapy burns

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi I’ve just joined this group this morning, i start my last five sessions of chemoradiation this week. My burns are son painful & sore, weeping & bleeding. I can’t walk sit or lie comfortable. I’ve been given Instal gel but find it works only for a while, I have fentanyl patches for pain I was offered oral morph but don’t like the way it makes me feel, we only have a shower at home so can’t sit & soak in a bath.  My oncologist said to try kitchen roll to dry the area I’ve found that a great help. 

my tumour was removed in February I’ve had 4.5 weeks of chemoradiation so far as I mentioned earlier I have 5 sessions next week to get through. 

any suggestions how to get through the next 3 weeks or so and of a cream or ointment that may help.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi SandyB47. So sorry to hear that your skin has had a severe reaction to the treatment. I was advised by my oncologist to use a hairdryer on its lowest setting to dry treatment the area. It had the benefit of drying the area as well as cooling it.  The last 5 sessions will fly by and then the healing process begins. You may find that your treatment area worsens in the week or two following the cessation of treatment but although the soreness increases your skin will have started healing itself. Go commando, let the air get to your bits, slaver the cream on, use a portable bidet and get plenty of rest. Be kind to yourself, you deserve it. Take care, stay safe

live Angelfeather x 

• Thank you for you kind word   Take care 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to SandyB47

SandyB47 so sorry to read that your burns are so bad. Mine also were pretty bad in the area, both my "girl" area and my bottom. I used a prescription pain cream, even through the first 2 weeks post treatment as those first two post treatment weeks are also bad. I did use pain meds as the pain was too much for me without it, but I got off the pain meds as soon as I felt I didn't need them. I couldn't sit in my bathtub but I bought one of those 'sitz baths' that fit on the toilet seat. I would put warm water in it and soak for awhile. Then air dry. Did that 3 or 4 times a day. Spent a lot of time in my bathroom during that time! I would put my favorite music on my player and pretend it was a 'spa.' I'm almost through my 4th month post treatment and can tell you that it does get better. The dead skin fell away and now I have smooth 'baby' skin that although is tender, is not painful. Hang in there! You've got this!

• Hi ,

Welcome to the online community although I’m sorry you’ve had the need to find us.

You've already received some great advice from both  & . If you don’t have a bath to soak in I’d definitely look into buying a portable bidet (I got mine from Amazon) they sit on top of your toilet & you can fil with warm salt water & just sit & soak, I found Epsom or Dead Sea salt baths was where I was most comfortable when things got sore. Fortunately I wasn’t too bad throughout treatment but my side effects kicked in once treatment had finished & peaked around 11 days after & I was either soaking in the bath, in bed or on the sofa as moving around was too painful but rest assured when things begin healing it’s amazing how quickly the new skin forms & things get better. I was also advised by another member on here to try the hairdryer on a cool setting to dry things off. I also used Water Wipes instead of loo roll etc., as anything else felt so abrasive! As far as oral pain relief goes I was given oramorph but unfortunately it made me terribly constipated, which was something I really didn’t need! so I was then prescribed codeine which sadly did the same, seems my system must be super sensitive to opiates! I ended up just alternating paracetamol & ibuprofen 2 hourly which helped a little. 

Your journey sounds very similar to my own, if you click on my username it’ll take you to my profile where you can read a little more, but I also had my tumour removed surgically (February 2018) followed by 4.5 weeks of chemoradiotherapy (PLATO Trial), I’ve not come across many of us that have had surgical removal as first line treatment, my surgeon said back then there’s only around 1 in 600 that are diagnosed with AC that are able to have surgery first, my chemoradiotherapy was then termed as ‘mop-up’ treatment as a tiny area around the tumour only had a 1mm clearance from the surgery which apparently is the cut off for further treatment. 

I hope this helps a little & good luck with the remainder of your treatment hopefully it’ll fly by & you’ll be on the road to recovery really soon. 

Nicola 

• Thank you for your helpful & kind words, I have severe allergies & am now wondering if this is also a factor as to why the medication is not working as well as it should. 

nice to hear you are through the other side and you are feeling better now may this continue for you. 

best wishes 

• Thank you Nicola I had my tumour removed first as well in February this year followed by chemo & radiotherapy together for 5.5 weeks this being the last week. 

I am allergic to most pain relief even anaesthetic so it does make life difficult at the best of times.

Thank you for your kind words

sandra