Bleeding

• 3 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I'm 7 months post treatment and have started passing blood again when I poo. It hasn't been this bad for a while.

I called the nurse and she's going to speak to the consultant but she said my recent scan looked good and thats its probably the scarring. I am really panicked by it though.

Does anyone experience bouts of bleeding? 

Deb x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Deb. I am now 7years post treatment and still get intermittent bouts of bleeding. Usually only for a day but sometimes quite heavy bleeding lasting up to a week. I always tell my doctor / consultant. I’ve been told I should always get it checked just for peace of mind

My bleeding is caused by burst blood vessels. The RT resulted in the anus ‘thinning’ causing the blood vessels to be closer to the surface and classified ‘friable’. Usually they burst after ‘straining’ for a bowel movement.

Apparently it is quite common and nothing to panic about. I’m always concerned when it happens with that little kernel of fear that the cancer is back. It’s a reasonable fear under the circumstances even though I know the treatment has been 100% successful. I’m sure you too will be told it is something similar. Do see your dr or consultant and I’m sure they will quickly put your mind at ease. Stay safe during the current epidemic

regards

Angelfeather x 

• Hi ,

As with  I too get intermittent bouts of bleeding. Again I always mention it at appointments with both my oncologist & surgeon. My oncologist has previously said that it’s most probably a fissure & these are commonplace after the treatment we’ve had. My surgeon explained about the radiotherapy altering the blood vessels & explained they’re now more delicate & closer to the surface therefore can easily rupture & we’re left with varying degrees of stenosis too & no longer have the same amount of stretch in our muscles as before he also said this will probably always be the case as following the radiotherapy the skin will never return to what it was like previously. The bleeding usually happens to me if I have a difficult bowel movement & can feel inflamed for a few day afterwards, another member also said this happened to them if they had a period where they were going to the loo more than normal. 

I would mention it at future appointments just so it’s documented & your Dr’s then know what’s ‘normal’ for you & can monitor it. I don’t think our Dr’s can ever know too much about the way things have changed for us & symptoms we’re experiencing it gives them the information they need to try & keep us healthy. 

Nicola

• Hi DEB, I’m 7 months post treatment too. I bled again last Friday, no reason, wasn’t constipated. It was bright red mucous, horrible. Been sore again and to be honest I’ve just been going to bed at 8.30 pm as lying down is the most comfortable position. I called the hospital and am awaiting a call back after the nurse has spoken to the Oncologist. I asked what would happen about my next appointment in May for a DRE and she said she would find out but have been trying to get people due for check ups to have tele appointments but you can’t have a DRE over the ‘phone!  I have also been having some pains sort of where I would imagine my cervix is. They seem to have died down a bit but last week I thought they may be a sign something sinister was going on. It’s probably nothing to worry about but these things need checking out x