I’m OK now but

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I’ve found the past week surprisingly difficult. After the initial euphoria of knowing I’d got the all clear wore off I’m left feeling a bit lost. I think maybe I’m just starting to process it all now. It’s not been a great year. Also my birthday is coming up again, and it was just after that last year that I had my first symptoms. I guess it’s just about getting past the milestones.

I’m not worried about the cancer coming back or even having any physical problems beyond the usual radiator gripping. I just feel like staying in bed for a week.

Anyone know what I’m on about?

• Hi ,

From my personal experience what you’ve been feeling is perfectly normal. I felt very similar & found I had to keep myself more or less constantly occupied! I spent a lot of time out walking with my dog or out with friends even if it was just for a coffee & a natter.

I think this journey is such a whirlwind from the very beginning, things move really quickly & then through treatment you have the routine of daily hospital visits, following treatment you have your check-ups & the wait for your post treatment scans & once you’ve had the report from these & if you’re lucky enough to be deemed NED after the initial euphoria things feel as though they fall a little flat don’t they? As you’ve said I think this is when you really do begin processing everything that’s happened to you & it’s pretty damn scary! 

So I suppose what I’m trying to say is yes I know exactly what you’re talking about. I remember visiting my local Cancer Connections just after I was diagnosed for some practical advice & I was told about their counselling service & one of the advisors said many people don’t access counselling during their cancer journey but often much further down the line past treatment & when they’re well into their recovery.  has mentioned about having attended a survivorship course & I’m considering seeing if there’s anything similar in my area, maybe this would be something you could explore also? Above all be kind to yourself & allow yourself this period of adjustment, you’ll get there. 

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Thank you Nicola,

I was a bit reticent about going to Maggie’s Cancer Centre because I don’t have cancer any more, but if it’s normal to feel like this I might pop in for a chat.

xx

• Hi Trish

I know exactly how you feel and apparently it's totally normal!! I've just joined a course at Maggie's called 'where now' and is focused on the time after treatment. I started last week and everyone there feels exactly the same and it was very reassuring to talk face to face with others regardless of what they'd been 

If you do get a chance to join a course or support group, I really recommend it.

Deb x 

• I really wouldn’t worry that you don’t have any ‘active’ cancer, these places offer support for every step of your experience. I think sometimes you have lots of hospital based support when you’re going through diagnosis, treatment etc., but then it naturally falls away to an extent when you enter into remission & you settle into 3 or 6 monthly check-ups so lots of these services such as Macmillan, Maggies & Cancer Connections provide aftercare services too.

Nicola