Flu Jag

• 6 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi folks. My doctor's surgery has started taking appointments for the flu Jag and I wondered if this is something I should be getting? I've never had it before but I'm thinking I should maybe get it this year!?

Thanks, Claire X

• Hi Claire, my GP reckoned I should have a flu jab  each year after I was first diagnosed  with( kidney) cancer, coz of having lower immunity.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • I am 6 years on  from treatment, but at the time I was advised by my oncologist to have the flu jab as if you are having  chemo  your imune system can be compromised and make you vulnerable to infection. I was however advised not to gave the shingles jab. Good luck with treatment, it is a tough few weeks but as they say it is doable. Thankfully I didn't react to badly . Still have a few issues with my bowel, but its managable. My oncologist did actually say at the time "you won't ever be the same down there"  .

• Sorry have just read your profile, and realised that you have completed treatment already.so what I have said doesn't really apply.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Claire

According to NHS SCOTLAND you come into 1 of the categories that should have the vaccine because you are in this group

People with a health condition

It only takes 2 minutes but it protects you for a year, as the flu strain changes every year so does the vaccine so you do need to have it every year.

Ian

• Thanks folks, I'll get booked in for an appointment 

Claire X

• Hi ,

Yes I too was advised to take the flu jab last year, that was my first one & I’ll get it again this year. 

Unfortunately we now fall into a category that says we warrant it!! 

Nicola