On my way

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hey folks!

Sorry I've not posted recently but I've been updating family and workmates.

Started my treatment on Monday with IV chemo (can't remember the name, sorry) and was given what I reckon was a huge supply of Capecitabine. Mind you, when you I into account my dosage ... 3*500mg plus 2*150mg twice a day ... maybe the supply ain't THAT big? Radiotherapy every weekday too.

My final treatment this week (day 5) isn't for another 30 mins so I'm letting my bladder fill up. Yes ... I got told off on Mon & Tue!

You may recall that I'm staying "on site" for the duration. Ensuite room in old nurses' quarters. Cereal & bread for toast in the morning and fridge stocked with fresh sandwiches & yogurts etc. Plus we get a £5 voucher to use in the hospital restaurants. There's one in the basement where I'm "living" but that closes at lunchtime, which means a 10min walk to the big restaurant in the hospital.

I really hope that everything is going OK for "you lot".

Heart

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi. How long is your treatment for? I hope your comfortable. 

Laura.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Laura.

I've got 28 sessions of radiotherapy alongside a course of chemotherapy on my "radio" days. Five down ... 23 to go!

I was given the choice of dropping my radio session on Monday, as I can't stay "on site" because of the Bank Hol. But my sister's fiancé can chauffeur me. It will mean another day of the 28 to cross off & I'll be messing up HIS Bank Hol ... win/win! Bitter? Moi? Grin

Just picked up a parcel from Post Office & realised how tired I am!

Hope all OK with you?

Heart

• Hi ,

Good to hear you’re almost 1 week into your treatment, the time seriously will fly when you’re ticking off those days on your treatment schedule. 

Sounds like a good set-up at your hospital for anyone that requires being an in-patient without being stuck on an actual ward! 

The amount of capecitabine you’ve been given although it looks a lot it should be exact for your treatment plan. 

Also the fatigue, related to both the radiotherapy & chemotherapy is a biggy & the best advice I could give is don’t try & push through it, rest when you need to rest, sleep when you need to sleep, your energy will return once this is all over & you’re healed. 

Good luck for the coming week, sounds as though you’re coping well.

Nicola 

• Love your signature AndyW4!!

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi Andy, 

It sounds like a good set up you have there. I had to move into an apartment as I live in Jersey. However It was tough not being at home.

I finished my treatment, which sounds the same as yours, last June. Just had another ALL CLEAR in my 12 week check up. 

Your posts took me back, How I hated filling up my bladder! Distant memories now, & I’m back to my old self now. I can’t believe it really happened! 

Make the most of your ‘en suite’ you need it! I still have to move quickly in the toilet direction sometimes! 

All the very best for the rest of your treatment. Keep filling that bladder! 

Pam 

Lady Tourelle

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to buttercup01

Hi

I nicked the signature "poem" after qouted it on.another thread of mine (in "Laughter is the best medicine")

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Hi

Actually, I've now finished the first week. I only get "zapped" Mon-Fri and I started on 19 August. 

I've just collected a parcel from the Post Office ... lots of polo shirts to wear with my jogging bottoms. Hadn't realised just how tired its making me, even after just one week!

Also stopped off at Asda & picked up a triple pack of Andrex moist toilet wipes & a bottle of E45.

Oh ... and some Tena Men pads for the "dribbles". I'm making a right mess of the briefs I've been wearing this week. Now I'm straying into TMI territory, so I'll stop there!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lady Tourelle

Hi Pam!

Yeah ... I got told off on Mon & Tue because my bladder was only half full! I was warned that I might be taken off the "zapping" table if it happened again.

So, on Wednesday, I emptied my bladder 1 hour before my appointment & drank water for the next 30 mins, and all was fine.

They were running late yesterday and I was getting VERY uncomfortable and I had to reduce the pressure. As a man, I can stop mid-flow but it didn't help much. And I drank MORE water in the fifteen minutes they over-ran. Fortunately, after the scan, they went straight for the "zap".

I'm REALLY happy to hear about your "clear" scans. You and people like you are a massive inspiration for me and people like me. Long may you keep testing clear!

• Hi ,

Just a little heads up about the toilet wipes, if you find they sting as your skin gets sore try water wipes, to be found in the baby section in the supermarket by the baby wipes, they are literally 99% water & I found them to be the only wipe that didn’t sting. 

Also do you get your E45 (Aqueous cream does the same job) on prescription? If not maybe ask your GP to put it on repeat for you, I still use Aqueous cream to wash with now, my radiotherapy girls advised to use it when I got radiation cystitis in week 2, it helps the skin during treatment as it becomes sensitive & keeps skin supple & well moisturised afterwards. 

Nicola 

• I once peed all over the floor after getting off the dreaded ‘table’ - so embarrassed! Couldn’t contain it any longer! 

I wrote a naughty blog, which is all muzzled up, but if you read it from the first date, it might make sense. It was a release for me to write it all down. I felt that everything I read was so depressing, I tried to lighten it up a bit. 

blogfromuranus.blogspot.com

It might give you a smile. 

Keep smiling - (through gritted teeth! )

Pam

Lady Tourelle